Planning Frustrations

Jensen x Reader

Prompt: Planning their wedding leads to bickering and conflicting ideas

It should have been the happiest time of your life so far. You were marrying the man of your dreams in a short couple of months. When Jensen had proposed, you had been ecstatic, more than ready to spend the rest of your life with this green eyed handsome man.

But with Jensen working up in Vancouver, and you stuck down in Austin, trying to balance both work and wedding planning, you were beyond stressed. Nothing seemed to be going right, and you were about ready to throw in the towel and hire a wedding planner.

Jensen was scheduled to be home tonight, and you planned on sitting him down at dinner, making him help you with some of the bigger decisions. You already had some ideas, about what to have for dinner, the colors, even the DJ to hire. But you didn't want to cement any of those down without his answer. It was his wedding too after all.

So, you made his favorite dinner, had his favorite wine chilled and ready to go. Even going so far as to decorate the patio table, adding flowers and your best china. Everything was perfect, exactly as you wanted it to be. Dinner would be ready any minute, and he should be stepping through the door.

Pulling the dinner out of the oven, you waited for Jensen to show up, but time quickly passed and he was nowhere in sight. Glancing at your phone, you saw a text from your fiancée. "Hey sweetheart. Grabbing a beer with Jared at his bar. Be home late."

It was sent only five minutes earlier. With a sigh, you fixed yourself a plate, putting the rest back in the oven for later. Filling up your wine glass to the brim, you went and sat by yourself at the patio table, on the verge of tears. You had been looking forward to this night for almost two weeks now. To actually spend some time with Jensen, to plan for the future and a wedding that was quickly approaching. Invitations were ready to be sent out, but you wanted to make sure he was okay with who was invited. Truthfully, you just wanted him to participate, even a little in this special day. You knew that grooms usually took a step back, letting the bride and her family plan it, but your family was gone, and you only had Jared's wife Gen to lean on.

Tears splattering on your plate, you pushed it out of the way, no longer hungry. Your heart was heavy, your shoulders feeling hunched from the burden of the wedding planning. Feeling completely alone and forgotten.

With the wine bottle next to you, you sipped at your wine, staring out into your backyard, watching the boats glide back and forth. It was a picturesque scene, and it made you even more disheartened that Jensen wasn't there to share it with you.

Evening turned to dusk, and dusk turned to night time, and still you were alone. The bottle slowly lost its contents, and you began feeling fuzzy and warm. Not even moving when you finally heard the door open, Jensen making his way inside the house. "Hey Y/N!" He yelled, trying to figure out where you were.

Not even making an attempt to answer him, you sat there in the dark, downing the rest of your glass. Soon, you could hear him make his way closer to you, stepping out onto the patio. "Y/N what are you doing sitting out here in the dark?" He asked you, sitting down next to you when you didn't rise to greet him.

"Wondering if we should even have a wedding?" You muttered, reaching for the wine bottle, groaning when you realized it was empty.

"Y/N, you're scaring me." He answered, reaching for your hand, but you pulled it away.

"Jensen, you were supposed to be home for dinner." You explained, the wine making your emotions all over the place. "We were going to go over plans for our wedding, remember? Because you couldn't tomorrow. Tomorrow you're golfing with Jared."

"Damn it. Y/N, I'm so freaking sorry. I forgot." He apologized, but you weren't ready to hear it yet.

"Do you even want to marry me?" You asked him, the tears that had been pooling in your eyes slipping down your cheeks. "Do you still love me?"

Sliding out of his chair, he kneeled in front of you, cupping your cheek. In the moonlight, you could see the pain and guilt in his eyes. "Of course, I love you. I love you more than anything, and I can't wait until we're married. I just was so stupid tonight, and I didn't even think."

"I just... it feels like I'm in this alone. I get that you're in Vancouver, filming and all. But between work and planning, and you not being here, I'm feeling overwhelmed." You admitted.

"Why didn't you say something earlier?" He asked you, his hands squeezing yours.

"I didn't want to complain. I thought planning a wedding would be easy. That we would have so much fun working together, deciding everything. But it's just a reminder that my mom isn't here to help me pick out a dress. My Dad won't be there to walk me down the aisle. And now I'm afraid you won't be here either." You choked out, before he picked you up in his arms, settling back down on the couch with you wrapped in his arms.

"I didn't even think." He whispered. "You know my Dad loves you, so much. He would be willing to walk you down the aisle. And you have Gen, and my Mom and sis. They can help with the dress. And I promise, even if I'm not here, call me with anything. I want to support you, and I do want to help plan this. I just didn't even think how stressful this would be for you."

"I just need you tonight." You admitted, your head pressed against his chest. "I still do."

"I'm here now sweetheart. And I'll cancel golfing tomorrow, and we can spend the entire day together, planning everything. Then I'll treat you to dinner at your favorite place. How does that sound?"

"It sounds amazing. But I don't want to sound needy." You answered, feeling bad that he was canceling plans for you.

"Nonsense. You are strong, and amazing and beautiful. But you shouldn't have to do this on your own. So, tomorrow it's just you and me. I promise." He insisted, pressing a kiss to the top of your head. Taking a deep breath, you calmed down. Feeling so much more confident and ready to face the rest of the planning head on. Because you couldn't wait to marry this man. Sure, he had made a mistake, but he was still the man of your dreams.