Chapter 6

"You don't need to get yourself in trouble. I'll see if I can sneak her out," he told the nurse.

As they were trying to figure it out, Amalie simply walked out, without their notice. Making her way back the way they'd gone, she found herself looking into the main lobby, seeing a lot of people in those black outfits. These people were carrying guns.

Turning around, she wandered the halls, not having any idea where to go. Eventually, she found a door with one of the little signs over it, which she'd come to recognize as a door to the outside.

Pushing the door open, she walked outside, straight into the arms of one of the men in the black outfit. Instinctively, she lashed out at him with her mind, sending him flying through the air, not to get back up. For the first time in her life, she ran. Her body wasn't used to it, but it figured it out, the need being there.

"4M4L13, come here, now," a voice called out. It was everything she could do to resist obeying. She'd been taught her entire life to obey. It was ingrained in her, but she did resist. Remaining under the bush, she fought the compulsion to do what she'd been ordered to do. She was also surprised they didn't turn on the shock plates.

In time, the owner of the voice left, the tension that'd built in her releasing in a single gust. With the release of that tension, she dropped to the ground, breathing heavily. Time wasn't her friend, though, and she knew it.

Picking herself up, she started walking away from the building she'd just left. Although she had no idea where to go, she did know where she needed to get away from.

As she walked, people looked at her, everyone along the sidewalk putting space between themselves and her. Eventually, a couple of women approached her. Both had silver hair, one a bit heavier than the other, both wearing bright colors.

"Are you okay?" one of them asked.

"I am okay," she replied, looking up at them.

"What's your name?" the other asked.

For a moment, she wasn't sure what she should say, but decided to go with what she truly believed her name to be. "I'm Amalie," she replied.

"That's a pretty name," the one that asked said. Amalie didn't understand why people kept saying that. It was just a name, although she did like it.

"Thank you," she said, knowing that was expected. The woman smiled.

"Where did you come from?" the first woman asked.

This time, Amalie wasn't sure she should reply. If she did, they might send her back, but the compulsion to obey was very strong.

"Where are you going?" the other asked, sparing her the need to answer.

"I do not know," she said, an answer that was easy to give.

"Why don't you come with us? We'll take care of you," the second woman suggested, putting a hand on her back and urging her forward. Not knowing what else to do, Amalie let them lead her.

"You're a pretty little thing. How old are you?" the first lady asked, appraising Amalie. It was similar to how some of the new doctors would look at her, when they first came to see her.

"I was created 13 years, 6 months...I don't know how many days, ago," she said, thinking. She'd lost track of the days, somehow.

"Created?" the second woman asked.

"Yes, I was created by Mascoe Pharmaceuticals, Incorporated," she said, not having meant to say that. It was too late, though.

"That's very interesting," the first woman said, looking at her askance.