secrets | 11

Chapter 11:
Secrets

"I can't take it, no no"
-PnB Rock (Questions)

Zach never responded to any of his messages, or even attempted to call Jack back. Instead he put his phone on silent and continued his fun filled week with his accepting family. It was going on ten o'clock now. Both parents of the three kids had gone to bed, explaining they had work in the morning. They even tried to get both Reece and Ryan to bed as they have school the next day, but was easily over thrown as they said they wanted to stay and catch up with their oldest brother. And that's what they've been doing. The three children sat on the couch watching Disney movies, chatting here and there.

Or that was before they had fallen asleep. Ryan was asleep on the recliner, a small blanket covering his lower torso; while Reece was sprawled out across Zach's lap. Zach on the other hand was wide awake. His attention was placed on the large screen that had played the latest movie Beauty and the Beast. Zach honestly liked the movie, but this time watching, he hasn't even dared put a second glance on it. He might of been staring at it, but he couldn't tell you what had been going on.

He was spaced.

His thoughts were mostly focused on the cellphone that had been recently connected to the charger nearby. And not even expecting it, a familiar ringtone had gone off, echoing in the small room. Zach jumped the slightest, but relaxed when realizing it was just his phone. He never remembered taking it off silent.

He gently removed Reece from his lap and placed her on the other side of the soft couch. She instantly curled into a ball, making Zach smile in admiration. But turning his attention to his phone, he noticed it stopped ringing. It raised his suspicion even more as he walked over to the small table it rested on. He unplugged it from the charging cord, turning it on to see that it was another call from Jack. Zach felt his heart beat rapidly once again. His hands began to shake as he didn't know if he should call back or not. His question was answered as his phone began ringing once again with the caller ID reading: Noodles.

Accept or Deny?

Zach bit his lip as he found himself answering the phone call.

"H-Hey" Zach managed out, his voice going higher than expecting. And he swears he heard Jack chuckle breathlessly. It made his cheeks burn in embarrassment.

"Hey Zach" Jack replies. And even if Zach couldn't see him, he knew a playful grin was etched on his features. "I wanted to talk to you about something" those few words made Zach go silent. His instant thought was of Gabbie telling him all about his secret fascination with Jachary fan fiction.

And he guesses he might of been quiet for too long, as Jack kept calling out his name trying to get his attention.

"Huh!? Oh, y-yeah we can talk" Zach stumbled, making his way back towards the couch. He sat down criss-crossed, the phone pressed against his ear, waiting to hear the soothing voice of Jack on the other line. But first he was met with the beautiful sound of his laugh.

"Don't worry Zachy, it's nothing bad. Hopefully" Jack paused, the sound of movement being heard on his end. Zach assumed he was sitting up. "I've recently gotten a text from Gabbie saying that you're hiding something from me. Actually hiding something from all of us" he breathed. "Zach, you know how I feel about secrets. Especially between us."

At least she didn't say what he was hiding.

Zach took a deep breath in before actually speaking. One wrong thing said and this whole conversation could go bad.

"It's nothing Jack. I promise."

"If it's nothing, then tell me what it is" Jack replied instantly after.

"Why do you care so much? I swear after the whole Daniel incident, all you've been doing is trying to figure me out. If I say it's nothing, then it's nothing" Zach speaks out, his voice raising just the tiniest from his previous whisper. Now it was silent on Jack's end.

And that's where it had gone bad.

"Fine. I'll see you in a few days, Zachary" Jack finally said. The coldness in his tone made Zach cringe the slightest.

"Wait Jack..." He said softly now. That was it as the line went dead. Zach brought his phone down as he looked at it disbelief. How could he be so stupid? He clutched his phone in anger as he swears his life would have been a lot easier if he never discovered that stupid app.

But then again he doesn't think he would have been completed. When actually thinking back, none of his relationships worked out. They were all females. Perfect soft skin, beautiful flowing hair, smiles so bright and gorgeous that they could make you melt. Yeah, they were definitely attractive; just not something he was looking for. And it wasn't until now that he realized it.

"Stupid Gabbie" Zach muttered as he stood up, his phone still clutched in his hand as he walked towards the kitchen. Maybe a late night snack could help him fall asleep and dust all of the drama off for the night.

He put his phone on the marble counter before he went to the fridge and pulled out a simple water bottle, along with grabbing a banana from the fruit bowl nearby. It wasn't until he was taking his first bite from the fruit that he heard a figure approach. At first he assumed it was just one of his younger siblings, but was shocked to see his mother entering. She was in a robe, her slippers sliding across the floor.

"Mom? What are you doing up?" Zach wondered as he watched her open the fridge too. She pulled out a newly bought chocolate cake. She placed it on the counter, then moving to one of the drawers. She pulled out two forks and turned to him with a smile.

"Always up for one last thing to eat" she answered, handing him a fork. He happily took it, taking a bite after his mother did. "Plus I was using the bathroom when I heard you and Jack talking on the phone" she stopped her eating to look at him. "What's going on sweetie?"

He himself stopped eating the delicious dessert, flicking his gaze to her, debating if he should say or not.

"Apparently his girlfriend told him I was hiding a secret and he wanted to know what it was" Zach mumbled.

"Well, what's the secret?" Zach looked at her in shock.

"Mom" he whined.

"Sorry, sorry. I know one thing that's not a secret though" she smiled. Zach gave her a confused head tilt.

"What?"

"You like him."

-

I love when you all comment. It makes my day :)

-Nevaeh