Chapter 8

New Romantics

The squad decided to tailgate at Layla's with her parents accepting. They hung out in the backyard with their dresses and waited to take pictures. Layla and Josiah were sitting on a rocking bench with Estee and Gia across from them. The first two couples of course.
"Raina is running late with her hot Korean Boyfriend!" Layla cheered.
They all squealed except Josiah who was confused.
"Now I know we went out once but I don't know who Raina is," Josiah said.
"Raina Ho, sweetest girl on the planet, love her," Layla gave a run down. "How about Carly, Cheyanne, Shailene, Charlene, Hayley, and Jailyn?"
"Hayley and Jailyn are on the way, Carly and Shay as well, Charlene went with another squad," Estee breathed. "That was a handful!"
"Dude, and Esmeralda is on her way!" Layla cheered. "You'll love my friends, Josie!"
"I sure will," Josiah smiled, that damned smile is just killing her inside and he looked too adorable.
"Well," Layla said. "Why don't we take a few pics?"
"Without us?" Hayley ran up with her boyfriend and Jailyn with her's. "By the way, Carly and Shailene are running up also.. Esmeralda too."
"Then let's take some pictures with this forest-y background!" Esther led Gia down.
"Ready?" Layla asked Josiah as she held his hand and led him down also.
"Definitely," Josiah smiled. "I really think this is gonna be the best night ever."
"Really?" Layla smiled. "Consider this our first date."
Layla's dad went out from the garage and set up his camera for the squad to line up and smile. Everyone with their dates around them and Carly and Shailene with the unconventional pose at the end because they were going as friends.
"Alright, Esther, move in a bit with Gianna," Her dad said. "Alright, looking good." He put out a thumbs up and snapped a few pictures. "All done, I'll send em to Layla but you guys can look now on my camera."
"Thank you, Mr. Nghiem," they all called out and looked at the pictures.
"These came out so good," Hayley was amazed by how good she and her boyfriend looked.
"I know right?" Esther said. "Thank you again, Mr. Nghiem!"
"No problem," He smiled and kissed his daughter on the forehead. "You be good to her." He joked with Josiah.
"I will," He winked.
"Be on your best behavior when driving please, Layla," he warned his daughter again.
"I will," Layla smiled. "But I'm driving with Josiah, Estee and Gia anyways, we'll be fine."

*************

The hall that was rented out was really nice and gave off a gala-type of vibe. Layla walked in with Josiah and they both handed off their tickets and sat at their table. They were separated from everyone else as an attempt to mix around people within the grade and unfortunately, Layla knew no one at her table except for Josiah.
"Yo, Josiah," one of the random guys did a fist bump and hug kind of handshake. "What's good man?"
"I'm out with this lovely lady right here," he smiled.
"Hi," Layla greeted.
"Smokin'," The guy said. His name was Patrick and he brought Elise O' Sullivan as his date. "This is mine, Elise O' Sullivan."
She waved quietly to the both of them and sat herself next to Layla.
"I'm Elise, you must be.."
"Layla," Layla shook her hand.
"Awesome," Elise skimmed the other names. "Judging by the other names.. the rest of this table is emo so I'm not really ready for this.." Elise joked.
"Ew," Layla rolled her eyes. "The emos at this school hate me so much, it's not even funny."
Elise laughed and slammed the table, "Wow, that was so random but so funny. I love you already!"
"Same to you," Layla found an unlikely friend. Fun fact: Elise was the Honda bitch who cut off Veronica in the parking lot last year. She is a lot nicer than Layla pegged her to be. "Say.. how have we never met yet?"
"Probably because I'm hanging out with a bunch of shallow bitches!" Elise joked.
"Language," Patrick joked and both he and Josiah laughed.
"A-hole," Elise smiled. "So Layla, are you and Jayce broken up?"
"Yes, been for a while and now I'm starting to date Josiah here," Layla said nonchalantly. "But to clear the air, I have no intention of getting him back. I'm just keeping my options open."
"Hopefully it doesn't go downhill," Josiah sipped his water.
"It will not go downhill," Layla sat and waited for the food to come and clear the awkward air.
"Jayce made a big mistake, just saying," Elise said as she waited also.
"Let's not talk about that a-hole too much," Layla joked.
"Right," Elise said.

The food came quickly and into their mouths. The DJ started to play some raving tunes, causing Layla to take Josiah and Elise and Patrick onto the dance floor.
"Divide and conquer," Layla told Elise.
"I like it," Elise smirked. "Pat let's tear this place up."
Layla dragged Josiah and they both danced to their fullest potential trying not to look like they were having a seizure.
"I love this song!" Layla bopped to Unlock It by Charli XCX.
"I wonder who requested it," Josiah bopped along. "You like Charli XCX?"
"Not really but I can bump to her!"
They attracted other couples in the area to come out and dance which was a good thing cause now, they broke into seizure mode.. (not really).
"We're the best couple on the dance floor," Josiah yelled above the music.
"Figures," Layla bumped hard to level 100. "We are so cool they wish they were us."

On the other side, Elise made eye contact with Layla and they both put their thumbs up.
"Easy," Layla said as she decided to grind on top of Josiah.
"Over the line, missy," Mr. Bryant laughed while picking her up and moving her away.
"Sorry, got too wild," Layla swung her arms around and danced to the music.
"Don't get too wild," Mr. Bryant chuckled. "Have a nice night also Ms. Nghiem."
"Damn," Josiah whispered. "Your school is strict."
"I'm over it," Layla took his hand twirled herself under him.
From a distance, Jayce looked across and became jealous. Jayce brought Caitlyn to the middle of the dance floor, hoping Layla would notice. But she was having way too much fun with Josiah that they twirled around and did some disco dance moves that made everyone want to copy.
"That's it.." Jayce stormed over and started to shove Josiah.
"Really, dude," Josiah was backed up because he didn't want to fight him.
"Jayce, stop it," Layla pushed him back in defense. "Ugh, where the heck is Mr. Bryant when you need him?"
Surely enough, authority came to break off Jayce and escort him out of the hall.
Luckily, that didn't stop the dance floor as Josiah and Layla danced the night away to the music that the DJ cranked up.
New Romantics by Taylor Swift played and Layla swung back into her dances with Josiah.
"Wow!" Layla danced happily as she listened. "The music, this school has taste!"
"Actually.." Josiah chuckled as he twirled her around.
"I love this night," Layla smiled. "Aside from Jayce barging over here and trying to beat you.. but I enjoyed it. Thank you for coming with me."
"Thank you for inviting me," Josiah hugged her. "There are a lot of St. John's guys too. Patrick was amongst the many few.."
"Well that's nice to hear," Layla said.
"Hey you wanna go out sometime, for real?" Josiah asked me. "On better circumstances too?"
Layla's eyes widened but she didn't care, if it's a real date he wants, it's a real date he gets. She knew her mantra of "No Boys allowed" this year but she did need to let herself loose after all. Josiah was the perfect balance.
"Okay, because your smile is infectious and I'm a little infatuated by you."
"Sweet!" He twirled her around again and continued dancing throughout the night.

**************

Now they were sitting in Friendly's, eating ice cream and talking to each other about life. Layla had never talked so much in her life, usually she would sit their quietly and make the other person feel awkward. But with Josiah, she really got along with him and the language she spoke really spoke to him too.
"Have you ever had your first kiss?" Josie asked.
"Never," She blushed.
"Really?"
"Okay," Layla explained herself. "Um, it's really complicated.. I want to save up this moment to have my first kiss lift me off my feet and take me away to an alternate happy dimension."
"You're very odd. People jump to kiss the moment they can."
"What can I say? I'm very odd."
"I love oddity," Josie smiled as he held her hand.
"I love smilers," Layla chuckled.
"I just wanted to say how much of a fool Jayce is to have done that to you.."
"I know," Layla smiled. "I've been hearing that about him lately.."
"So this isn't the first time he broke your heart," Josie frowned.
"Unfortunately, it's just frustrating how he's acting like a little kid."
"Ah," Josie nodded. "I think I need kick his ass now."
"No," I chuckled. "It just ruins your sunny disposition."
"A little rainy day won't do harm," He winked.
"It will with Jayce," I rolled my eyes. "You don't need to ruin your reputation to handle annoying roaches."