loved you first

"kai, baby, he's gone." harry says, softly knocking on the door. i reach up and unlock the door, but stay seated on the floor. "oh, baby." harry soothes as he sits next to me, pulling me to him, where i cry into him.

there's a knock on the front door and i flinch out of reflex. "relax, baby. it's just the police." he tells me and i nod. "you go sit in my bed and i'll talk to them, okay?" he asks, sweetly and i nod. "do you want them knowing everything? cause whatever i tell them will probably get out in the media, you know." he reasons and i nod quickly. "i don't care. i want him in jail for what he did to me."

after the police question us and everything, they assure us that they'll find him and put him in jail, and leave. "haz, i think i need to tell my family before it gets out." i explain and he agrees, telling me that he'll invite them over for dinner tomorrow night so he can be there with me.

"harry, thank you so much. you really don't have to do any of the things that you do for me. you are the sweetest, most caring, person i've ever met and i'm so grateful for you. why do you do so much for me?" i ask him, honestly confused at his constant generosity.

"because i love you." he tells me and i giggle. "well i love you too haz, but-" i start but harry stops me. "no, kai, listen. i love you. like i want to be with you, and i want to make you happy, and get to kiss you all the time, and not have to lie about how i feel about you, and not have to watch you get your heartbroken by complete assholes and think about how i would never hurt you like that. i want to be your boyfriend and for you to be my girlfriend. that's how i love you. not like i love kendall. that's very different from how i feel about you. all those times that i told you i loved you, i meant it."

i'm speechless by the time harry finishes. "harry i- i don't know what to say." i stutter, my thoughts an incoherent mess of jumbled words and feelings. "i understand if you don't feel the same way. and i know it's too soon seeing as you just had a traumatic experience with-" he rambles. "i feel the same way, i do." i say and his face lights up. "but i need some more time. this is too soon." i tell him and his face falls again.

"okay, i get that. i've been waiting to tell you this since we met at my concert, three and half years ago. i can wait however long you need." he tells me, holding my hand in his much larger one. "oh, before i forget, let me text the mafia." he says, letting go of my hand and grabbing his phone. he refers to my family as "the mafia" because there's so many of us and we're very secretive sometimes, but it's really just because we always have secret projects we're working on.

"okay, kris says they'll all be there. 6 pm good?" he asks me and i shrug, "sure."
—————
the next morning, harry and i are talking about how to tell my family when i realize that i still look like hell. "hey, h? can i have my phone so i can have my girls over to fix this situation?" i gesture to my bruised face and he nods, quickly taking my phone out of his pocket and handing it to me. "still beautiful." he mumbles and i smile.

"uh oh." he says, looking at his phone. "what's wrong?" i ask him, worried that it somehow got out into the media already or something. "kendall wants to know if she can come now, because she says she's already in the area." he smiles sympathetically. "tell her yes." i say and he looks surprised. "i'd rather tell her before everyone else knows anyway. so have her come over." i explain and he nods.

kendall arrives almost immediately and asks me what the fuck happened. i give her a summary and tell her i'll explain more details when the family gets here because i don't want to talk about it more than i have to. i tell harry he can explain it to her if he wants, so he does after kendall begs him to. she's pissed by the time he finishes the story and rants and yells for a while but i tune it out, tired of dealing with so much anger and sadness.

halle and myra arrive and immediately, as expected, question my beat up face. i tell him the truth, because i trust them, we're very close friends. i make them promise not to tell anyone, which they do immediately. they get to work on covering the marks up, while being as gentle as possible, so as not to hurt me.

as they work, i put on one direction, which is kind of a routine for the girls and i. we sing and dance, kendall too, which i'm thankful for cause it seems to lighten her mood at least a little. harry just sits there on his phone, obviously not a fan of having to listen to his own music, but i hear him humming, and even singing, to some of the songs.

"do we have to listen to my music?" he groans after a while and i nod. "absolutely. i love your music and it makes me happy. so, yes. yes we do." i say innocently and he groans again. "sorry bout it!" i laugh lightly at his discomfort. "no, you're not!" he says, now laughing with me. "i know." i smirk, winking at him.

when the girls are finished, we realize that i don't have any clothes to change into, since i didn't bring any extra ones to harry's. we don't have enough time to go to kendall and it's house either. so i throw on my jeans and t-shirt that i was wearing last night. "wait, switch shirts with me." kendall tells me, taking off her shirt. "why?" i ask her, completely confused. "because you can see bruises in your arms, from..." she trails off but i know what she's talking about. i pull my shirt off and she gasps at the huge bruise on my side from him kicking me. i look down at the ground, embarrassed, but she quickly, gently hugs me before realizing that neither one of us has a shirt on and we laugh as we get dressed.

i look at myself in the mirror and see that i look almost normal again. at least, i will until i wash my face. i thank halle and myra at least a million times before they leave. by the time we're both ready, it's 5:30 and we walk downstairs to the kitchen, where harry is cooking dinner for my family. "so who's all coming?" i ask him and he jumps slightly, i guess he didn't know i'm behind him.

"jesus, love. you're gonna give me a heart attack. but it's kris, bruce, kourtney, kim, khloe, rob, kylie, and obviously kendall." he tells me and i nod. this is definitely going to be a difficult conversation, so i'm so grateful that harry's here.