fireproof

"hey." i spoke into the phone. i was still crying as i left my dads house. i was scared. i was glad my dad was finally going to be who he really was, but i didn't want my father to be gone.

he kept saying, "bruce will be gone", and i didn't like that. i didn't want to lose my dad. the thought of bruce, my dad, being gone hurt me badly. i didn't say this to him though , because i'd figured he'd heard it enough from my sisters. i felt awful for feeling like this, and i really did want my dad to be happy, i just didn't want him to be gone.

"oh baby, you're crying. i'm guessing it didn't go well?" harry's voice came through the phone. "no, it went great, i'm just scared. he keeps saying 'bruce will be gone', but i don't want that, i don't want to lose my dad." i cried.

"do you want to come over to my house?" he asked me and i nodded, before realizing that he couldn't see me. "yes." i answered, shaking my head at my dumbass self. "okay, good. i want to make sure you're okay, and i want you to explain what happened." he told me, his tone clearly concerned. "okay, i'll probably be there in like 20 minutes."
- - -
"wow. so he's actually getting the sex change?" harry asked me and i nodded my head. "why didn't he tell you guys that until now? did he not think his daughters would like to know?" he ranted. "that's what i said!"'i held my hands up.

"so how do you feel about bruce becoming a woman?" i was sitting on harry's kitchen counter, while he made us food. "honestly, if that's what makes dad happy, then that's what i want for him. i just don't want to lose my dad. i'm scared because, i love bruce, and i don't want him to just be gone, and never see him again." i started crying again.

harry walked over to where i was sitting and leaned into me, between my legs, hugging me tightly. i rested my head on his shoulder and cried into it. "he's still going to be the same person he always was, he's just going to finally get to be on the outside, who he's always been on the inside. he's still the person you've always known, kai."

"i know, and i feel like such an asshole for being upset about this. like, i feel like a homophobic bitch, and i know i have no right to be upset over this." i honestly felt extremely guilty. "yes you do. you're not homophobic or a bitch, you're just going to need some time to adjust to this information, seeing as it just got sprung on you." he comforted, rubbing my back.

"and on top of that, justin got bailed out of jail today, by wait for it... hailey fucking baldwin. she made a statement about them being together. she said 'people make mistakes', like that just excuses two years of abuse." i cried. "i'm so sorry, love. she's a bitch. you deserve better than everything that has happened with that situation and i'm sorry." he comforted, drawing circles on my back with his fingers, and kissing my temple.

"dude, why do you even like me? i am such an emotional mess all the time. i feel like lately all i've been doing is crying to you. i'm sorry, there's no way i'm fun to be around." i wiped my tears and pulled away from him. "you're amazing, bear. you're a pleasure to be around, even like this. i hate to see you hurting, though." he told me and placed a sweet kiss on my lips, turning around and going back to the food i'd forgotten he was making.

"i just want to take my mind off this." i mumbled, more to myself than harry. "oh i know how to take your mind off of it." he smirked and i rolled my eyes. "harry, i'm serious." i tried to keep a straight face but couldn't. "fine! but i do have another idea, but we have to eat first and then i'll take you there."

he put our food onto two plates and i followed him into the dining room. "i'm not gonna lie, i'm kind of worried." i admitted. what was he talking about? "don't be. you'll like it."
- - -
"haz, where are we going?" i asked him as we drove. "well after being best friends for three years, i learned a little bit about you." he smiled. "meaning, i know what makes you upset, what makes you mad, what makes you happy, and what makes you calm." he continued. i furrowed my brows, trying to put the pieces together.

"and i know what makes you the happiest, besides me of course, is music. so we're going to the studio." he finished. it all suddenly made sense. "but, h, isn't it closed now?" i asked as i looked at the time. he shook his head. "i got it all handled. we're good to go." he smiled sweetly at me and i returned the smile, "you're the best."