21: Stolen Kisses

"Bye, Jess!"I called as I left the lecture hall, checking my missed calls as I walked. Roy had called me in the middle of class, so I should probably call him back.

Things had been really good between us. I mean, it's only been a few days since the whole confession of undying love, but I felt that this was going to be a good, solid relationship. But, then again, that's what they all say.

Our first date was tonight though, so I was nervous and excited all at the same time. I was planning on telling him I loved him tonight, since I figured I had made him wait long enough and it felt like the right occasion to bring it up.

"Hey you. So you called?"I say when he picks up after a couple of rings.

"Hi. Yeah, I did. Uh, I know that our first date is tonight, but my mom called me earlier and said that there's something she wants to talk to me about. And we could still go on the date, just if your free right now I would really like for you to come with me for support and such,"he rambled, making a smile come to my lips.

"Of course I'll come. I've been meaning to see Troy, anyway. You don't think it's anything too bad with your mom, do you?" I run my fingers through my hair, feeling anxious and nervous on Roy's behalf. I would also be pretty upset if something was wrong with his mom because she seemed like a lovely and fun person.

"I don't know. She didn't really go into specifics. So are you ready to go now? Where are you-I'll just come pick you up?"

I nod, even though he can't see me,"I'm in front of the music building."

"Ok. I'll be there in five. Thanks for doing this for me,"I bid him farewell and then he hangs up.

I make myself comfy on one of the empty benches on the sidewalk. True to his word, Roy's car pulls up to the curb just a few minutes later and I don't hesitate to hop into the passenger seat and buckle up. I lean over and kiss him on the cheek, wanting to smooth some of the wrinkles that were creased on his forehead.

"Hey, Princess,"he says, twining our fingers together as he pulls away and on to the road.

The ride is pretty uneventful, though I smile the whole ride because Roy has a copy of the CD he gave me turned on and we are both singing softly along. We arrive in no time, and I squeeze Roy's hand as he rubs the back of his neck with his free one and just looks generally nervous. I really don't blame him.

We both get out of the car and the woman at the front desk just nods when she sees Roy, as if she's seen him enough to where she remembers him. Maybe so. The elevator ride is silent, and maybe a little tense. It makes me start to feel jittery and my hand to start sweating in his. Now I was getting nervous and how can I calm Roy down if I can't even calm myself down?

Reaching the door, Roy takes a deep breath and opens it. We walk in and his mother is sitting up in bed, her face full of color and a smile on her face.

"Hey mom,"Roy says, walking over and engulfing his mom in a loving and gentle hug. Seriously, watching a guy be sweet with his mom is like watching him hold a baby-it gets you right in the ovaries.

"Hi Royce. I see that you've brought your lovely girlfriend along with you,"she looks over at me and I walk up next to her to embrace in a hug as well, trying my best not to hurt her because she just seems so fragile.

"It's nice to see you too, Ms. Gar-Andria,"I correct myself as she gives me a look.

"So, mom, what did you want to talk about,"Roy asks, now sitting in the metal seat next to her chair, his leg bouncing up and down.

She gives us each a look, taking a few moments to carefully assess our worry-filled faces,"Oh my,"she finally says,"I didn't mean to worry you two so much. It's nothing bad, I swear. Quite the opposite, in fact."