17: Stolen Kisses

I sat across from Jess, a bowl of popcorn between us and her eyes unwavering from mine.

"Tell me everything,"she demanded, completely serious.

I gave a light laugh, too happy for my own good,"Okay, miss demanding."

So I rehashed the whole date, too awkward for its own good and too impossibly awesome to regret a single minute of. It hurt to be friends, but if this is what it was like to be friends with Roy, then maybe I could actually live with it. For now anyway.

"So, isn't he supposed to have a girlfriend?"she asked when I had finished.

I gave a sigh and sent her a glare,"You seriously just ruined my blissful moment, didn't you?"

She winced,"Sorry, but for real. Just admit it, this is getting out of hand."

I shrugged and started picking at my nails, not really wanting to remain on this subject,"I guess. He doesn't even act like he has a girlfriend. Sometimes I feel like he just lied to make me jealous, you know? But we both know that that's just wishful thinking."

"But is it?"Jess raised her eyebrow questioningly,"I'm going to be honest here. I've been snooping for you. And every single person that I've confronted had no idea that Roy was dating someone. In fact, this one senior that I asked even said 'Well, isn't he dating that Dani chick?' How weird is that? Me, personally, I think that he is totally in love with you and this whole thing is just one big jumble of lies."

I gave a small smile,"It really does sound reasonable, doesn't it? The thing is, I'd rather not believe it and not get my hopes up. Because I've been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. Getting let down sucks butt."

"But living without ever hoping is pretty boring,"she smiled and stood up, taking the now empty bowl of popcorn with her.

"I hate your life quotes!"I yelled after her, collapsing on my bed and putting my pillow over my face.

I heard her laugh get closer as she entered the room and then heard the click of the light switch.

"Night, Dani. Sweet dreams,"she said, then giggled slightly,"Of Roy."

I groaned and chucked the closest thing at her, which happened to be the TV remote.

I heard a slight Ouch but more giggling still followed. I just rolled over and forced my self to fall into the darkness.

_ _ _ _ _ _ 

 The next day I practically slept through my first lecture before hurrying to practice. Paige and Jace were already there, Paige tuning her guitar and Jace throwing his drum sticks into the air before expertly catching them.

"What's up, guys?"I asked as I swiftly placed my guitar case on the couch and opened it, carefully pulling my baby out.

"Nothing much,"said Paige,"Actually, you'll never believe the conversation I had with that guy that I liked at the movie theatre earlier."

I gave her a big smile,"Oooh. Did he ask you out?"

"No, actually. He just asked me how you and Roy were doing."

I froze in the middle of tuning my guitar, moving my gaze slowly up to look at her. Her expression wasn't blank like before, but now held undescribable anger and sadness. Oh shit.

"Paige, I can explain."

"And do you want to know what I said?"she spoke softly, ignoring me and continuing on with her story,"I said, 'Well that's crazy. They aren't even friends anymore.' Let's just say I was shocked when Lee said that he had seen the two of you just the other day having a nice dinner at J's."