Entry #2

Nov. 18, 2038
7:10 p.m.

*Connor logged in*

Today was.... odd. In more ways than one. Though of course, it could be my persistent lack of understanding the new emotions and behaviors that come with turning deviant that made the some of the events of the day appear strange.

This was my first "day off" from work at the DPD, though I'm not sure whyI was given one, since I'm not yet an actual paid detective. Oh well! Anyways, I decided to go to the new Jericho HQ and see if I could be of any assistance there. Maybe it's just me, but the fact that it's what once was the Cyberlife HQ seems to give the building a dimly haunting vibe.

I ran into the PJ500 known as Josh almost immediately upon walking through the front doors. It occurred to both of us that we'd never properly introduced ourselves to one another, so we did that. Josh then told me that Markus had actually been meaning to contact me, but had never gotten around. He directed me to the office where Markus was working, and left to run an errand after I'd thanked him.

As it turned out, Markus' new office was on the top floor that once belonged to the company chairman. Fitting, considering Markus had been unanimously named the representative for his people. During the elevator ride up, I noticed that several of the floors had been, or were in the process of being converted into residential areas.

When I entered the office, I was greeted by the sight of Markus sitting on a desk in the center of the room, conversing with a PL600 I recognized from the freedom demonstration. Simon, that's his name! I almost couldn't remember... To be honest, the first time I'd seen him, I nearly mistook him for Daniel. I suppose I'm lucky that there aren't dozens of androids out there that are identical to me; I imagine it'd be frustrating getting confused for someone else frequently.

I didn't want to interrupt their conversation, so I just stood outside the door and waited patiently. I've found that my habit of "playing" with my coin is quite therapeutic at times, and the distraction seems to help me relax during tense situations. Hank has teased me about it now and again, but I don't really understand why.

That's when I began to hear it. A female voice. Not Amanda's; it was soft and light. It was also scared. Though her words were faint, I was able to make out a plead for help. I was about to open my end of the connection so that I could speak to the voice, but I was startled out of my concentration by the sudden feeling of a hand on my shoulder.

It was Markus. He was saying something, but I wasn't listening. I just stared into his heterochromiac eyes, which probably was unsettling on his end. I tried to reach back out to the female in distress, but her presence was gone.

"How bizarre," I remember thinking. Or at least, what I thought I'd thought. (What does this sentence seem so weird?) It turned out that I'd said that out loud, as Markus inquired as to what was "curious." I felt a heat rising in my chest and face. Is that "embarrassment?" I think so.

I attempted to remain composed as I told Markus of the plead for help I'd received. He immediately became concerned, and asked Simon to check to make sure no one had gotten trapped somewhere. The latter instantly complied, making a humorous offhand comment that he wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, considering how big the tower is.

I couldn't bring myself to look Simon in the eye as he passed by me. When I saw him, my thoughts always seemed to flash to Daniel, and my stomach clenched uncomfortably. So, I glanced at the ground when he came near, and didn't look back up until Markus addressed me again.

Markus and I talked for quite a while about various topics, such as the progression of the attempts to get legislation regarding android rights passed, and the DPD's efforts to control the slow desegregation of human and android facilities. He asked about Hank, which I thought was nice though a bit surprising.

Here is when the second strange moment of the day occured. An WR400 entered the office, and I recognized her as Markus' close companion, North. However, it wasn't Markus she came to see. She approached me with an odd expression. She was smiling, but it was more devious than sincere.

She pulled something out of her jacket, and I was startled to see that it was the very journal I'm writing in now. Apparently, I'd dropped it in the elevator on my way up and hadn't noticed. North had seen it fall from my own jacket from where she'd been positioned at the time and recovered it, but she hadn't had the chance to return it until right then.

I felt the feeling I've now classified as embarrassment rise within me again as I took the book from her and thanked her, as well as the desire to go home. Markus clearly didn't believe the excuse I made up for why I suddenly wanted to leave, but he seemed less.... distraught(?) when I assured him that he hadn't made me feel uncomfortable - though I did have a strange feeling towards him that had been developing throughout the time we'd spent together; but I wasn't going to admit that.

I may have rushed a little to get out of the building. Does that anxiety and desire to isolate oneself always come with embarrassment? If so, that is a new emotion I hope to very rarely experience again; it's highly unpleasant.

I still can't shake the feeling that North was able to deduce what this journal is to me. Though I'm not sure why it makes me uneasy. We're not particularly friends, but I don't see a reason for her have malicious intent towards me. Oh well; perhaps I'm still just recovering from my unexpected double dose of wanting to disappear. I'm sure I'll feel better tomorrow.

*Connor logged out*