Back To You

"Yes, mom", Alisha said for the hundredths time, "I'm sure she'll be fine with an Audi." 

Her mother had driven to Philadelphia to buy a car for Violett. It was supposed to be a gift for her 16th birthday but previous events have gotten in the way. Alisha herself was in town to do a little bit of window shopping. She was by herself, enjoying the quietness around her. Sometimes she just needed that. After she had reassured her mom once more, that a brand new Audi was perfect for Violett, she hung up the phone and put it away. She was across the street from The Cuppa and decided to get a coffee to go.

Alisha walked into the cafe, looking for Emily but she didn't seem to be working today. But who she found was a happy looking Toby behind the counter. 

"Hey Alisha", he gave her a welcoming smile, "What can I do for you?" 

"Hey! Does the ice machine work by now?" Last time Alisha was here, the ice machine was broken. But now that it was summer, she couldn't drink anything hotter than water from the tub. 

"Iced Latte?" Toby answered her question by asking another one. 

Alisha nodded gladly. "It's going well, huh." 

The Cuppa was full of guests enjoying their beverages while chatting lively with friends. Only about half a year ago Toby had opened up the cafe, after the towns favourite coffee shop had closed its doors. The girls had helped Toby set up the interior and they were baking all sorts of delicious things for the grand opening. So seeing the business be a success felt a little like their accomplishment, too. 

"Nothing to complain about", Toby started preparing Alisha's order, "except for the fact I don't get to see Spencer as much as I like. The work expands opening hours by far." 

"Well, you might need to employ another Emily", Alisha suggested. "I'm betting the budget is high enough." 

Toby raised his eyebrows, "Are you looking for a job?" 

She laughed and handed him a five dollar note for the drink, "No, I don't think I could handle all those people. I'm more of a consumer." 

He leaned against the counter and smirked. He liked Alisha for her honesty and her authenticity. She spoke her mind, even if it made her seem controversial or even cliche. "I'm sure you can handle anything. But I'm not angry. I also see you working in other areas." 

"Like where?" she asked curiously. 

"Rosewood Police Department, for example", he nodded towards the door and Alisha turned around. What Toby had been referring to was Wilden, just now taking a seat by the window. And again he was accompanied by the same woman Alisha saw him with on her birthday. Quickly she turned away and hid her face, "Oh my god, Toby." 

"What?" he laughed silently, "Do you have anything to hide from the police? Or is it that specific officer?" 

Alisha rolled her eyes, "I just don't want him to notice me." 

"You know him?" Toby had witnessed an awkward conversation between Alisha and that officer before, but he didn't know why Alisha made such a fuzz about it. 

"Sort of", Alisha lowered her voice, "It's a little complicated."

"Do you want me to let you sneak out of the back door?" he offered and resigned from asking any further questions. Spencer would be able to fill him in later. 

Bravely Alisha shook her head, "Actually, I owe nothing to him. He's the only one who should find the situation awkward." She threw her black curls over her shoulders and reached for her coffee cup.