CHAPTER NINE

— OTHERSIDE OF THE TABLE

relay msg 7 – Big Murf ♩ ♪ ♫

AMELIA:

I didn't want to answer the phone once I heard it ringing, but the thought of it being Chaise had me moving to reach for it.

"Hello?" I answer in a groggy tone.

"Let's go get some liquid energy." Callie's voice meets my ears.

"You woke me up for damn coffee?" I ask, pushing the covers off me so I can get out of bed.

"Oh, how convenient. You just woke up? We're surfing in the PM here, doll face. You can't be sleeping your life away!"

I can tell she's smiling, so I drop my crabby mood.

"Come and get me then," I sigh.

"I'll be there in five," she says sweetly.

"Don't get—"

"Out of the car, I know the drill. Put some pants on and meet me by the only tree on your deserted lawn," she finishes my sentence.

I look down at my naked legs, and then grin. She knows me too well.

"Is Lina already at the café?" I ask, as I grab a pair of light-washed skinny jeans from my closet and lay them on my bed.

"Yeah, she's working the register today. We're going to taunt her, maybe stick a slice of key lime pie under her nose but not allow her to eat it."

"I think I might have slightly tainted your innocent heart," I smirk, as I grab a silky grey tank top from my closet and lay it out with my jeans.

"No! I was never innocent to begin with. You know I can be a playful bitch sometimes. I'm in a good mood for once," she says.

"Yeah, I can tell," I laugh. "Who do you have rubbing your back at night?" I tease.

"We can talk secrets when we get to the café, Mel, right now you need to get dressed so we can leave. I'm here," she presses.

I sigh. "I'll be right out," I say, then hang up the phone.

I throw my clothes on, wrap my fanny pack around my waist, and then slip on a pair of black converse shoes before walking out through my bedroom door. Chaise still hasn't made it home, but I'm not going to continue worrying. He can take care of himself. He would have told me or left a damn note if it was serious. I'd like to think so.

Before I can make it out through the hall — Robert ambushes me, wrapping his arms around me.

"Robert? You're hugging me."

I'm not going to decide if I'm in shock or not until I know if he's drunk.

"I'm sorry I'm such a shitty older brother," he slurs.

He's drunk. Tipsy drunk, though, not sloppy. He's annoying when he's sloppy drunk. He always gets affectionate and emotional when he's tipsy. It's so weird because it's a very different of him, but it's sweet, too. I like Robbie a lot more when he's sweet. He was a sweet guy before Vegas, before our mom left--before he became a whore, a cheater, and now a drunk. I pat his back out of habit.

"Robbie, I forgive you. Just try to do better, okay? I know you can do better. Remember who you used to be? I miss that guy. Don't you?"

I wish he would hear me out. I do tell him how I feel when I think he's listening.

"I miss the old me too," he admits.

I sigh a breath of relief. A flash of hope surrenders my eyes.

"Come on, you can take a nap on the couch," I say, as I wrap an arm around his torso to guide him towards the couch and into the living room.