CHAPTER FIVE

AMELIA:

We all make mistakes. Yes, I made a mistake. I got too cocky with it. I told Parrish to kiss me. His sexy ass...

I had a dream last night — the hot and bothered kind, and Parrish Livingston just so happened to star in it. The first time in my life, actually, has a dream been a good one, let alone about a guy.

And that's why I can't do it. He'll send me rolling faster than I could ever keep up with. I need to try and keep my distance. I'm going to have to claim my quiet room, and just let it go.

Jane acted like she might be okay with it, though. She seemed to know what might happen when she told me where Parrish was yesterday after hours. She gave me that look where one of her eyes squinted more than the other, and she was genuinely smiling.

Sometimes it weirds me out, but it didn't yesterday. I was pretty grateful for her being so understanding about me wanting to talk to him. Maybe sticking my tongue down his throat, wrapping my legs around him, and giving him a goodnight hickey fitted in with what she had in mind as well, but who knows?

***

When I pull up to the Country Chickery on my moped, I catch a glimpse of Parrish. He is getting out of his truck, and then he's staring at me as he shuts the door. I wish staring didn't require eyes. His tend to unfold me — make me do things I wouldn't normally do. I park under the oak tree, and he smiles at me.

Past events can't stop playing in my head. Why does he have to be so damn attractive? Why did we have to have a good conversation? Why the hell did I tell him to kiss me goodnight last night?

I am afraid. I am afraid of getting too close to a guy that looks way too perfect to be real. I don't want that to be my story. I want my story to be believable, you know? If I ever come down to having one. I'm not the average girl. I'm not a totally insecure Barbie doll that hates her perfect body, like the girls my brother Chaise can never get enough of.

Chaise expects perfect, but that's not me. I expect flaws, and I hold them close. I accept all flaws, and I respect people that admit they have them as well — because we all do.

I know I'm not perfect. I never try to be. I know I have imperfections, and I know I have features and things about me that are quite likable.

Sometimes I feel like I have to be the macho and tough Amelia to get my point across. I'm not a weak source, but I feel far from strong. I might be the filling in the sandwich when it comes down to that sort of thing. I'll have this figured out my last minute of life. As of now, I need to do something that I know is what's right.

I don't have to tease Parrish. I don't think he deserves that.

I'm enlightening myself with the moment of truth, here. Parrish actually put me down and stopped me from kissing him because he had a boner. What guy that is straight does something like that? There is no telling what could have happened if he didn't stop me.

Parrish and I could be friends. I'm not that big of a bitch, I have friends. I'm willing to make a new one.

I don't want to ignore him, but I also don't want to hang out with him some time, like he had suggested. We work together, so we have to see each other at work regardless. I actually thought about this.

Nothing bad can come from what I'm about to do.

I move my feet, and walk towards Parrish. He is leaning up against his truck. He knows I am coming right for him. When we look into each other's eyes, I realize he is more than just some guy. He's hurting. I can tell by the pain held behind his olive-green eyes as the sun reflects against them. I am at a loss for words. I am now about an inch away from touching him, but my eyes never tear away from his. When they do, it is when Parrish pulls me in, and wraps his arms around me. I let him. I can't stop giving in. He wraps his strong arms tighter around my waist, and I reach my arms high enough to wrap around his neck. I shiver to the feel of his touch. He lifts me up the slightest bit so I can rest my head in the crook of his neck, and he twists his head to the side while whispering something I can't understand. I feel his breath against my ear, and it soothes me in a way I never thought could be possible. "I'll never let go," Parrish whispers in my ear.