CHAPTER THIRTEEN

—SURPRISE

too many wires – Big Murf ♩ ♪ ♫

AMELIA:

"Am I allowed to kiss you goodnight, or is that too unoriginal for you to even consider?" Parrish asks, as he parks his truck in my yard.

I look over at him, and sudden heat fills my body as tingles jolt to the tips of my toes. I scratch my elbow even though it doesn't itch.

"Is this going to happen again?" I counter-question, as I point from him to me.

If this isn't going to happen again, then he is allowed to kiss me goodnight. I would need one more kiss from him if this won't happen again.

If this is going to happen again, then he needs to just kiss me now and not give me enough time to overthink the outcome. He's respecting my space, though, which is sweet. Our date went so much better than I expected, and I have forced myself to push all possible thoughts aside. The possibilities haven't been a part of me for a long time, and they never will again as far as I'm concerned.

"I thought we were winging it, Penney," he smirks.

I shake my head as a smile corner my mouth. I sigh as my eyes click to meet his gaze. His eyes are my undoing. They make me do things I don't normally do.

I unbuckle my seatbelt, and then climb over the gear shifter so I'm straddling his lap. He searches my face curiously as his eyes widen. He places his hands on my thighs slowly.

"Amelia... what are you doing?" he asks cautiously, as he gently strokes my thighs with his rough hands.

I ignore his question as I press my chest against his and wrap my arms around his neck. He hisses a breath through his teeth as I kiss the tender skin below his ear.

When I press further down onto his lap, I feel his hands reach my waist to stop my swift movements.

"I need an explanation," he says this in a slightly serious tone — but I also sensed desperation. I press my forehead against his as our noses slightly brush against one another.

"I need you to distract me, Livingston. I just wanna have some fun," I assure him.

"So, you were using me for a sexual release all this time?" he scoffs playfully, as he runs his fingertips up and down my back softly.

I scrunch my face as I shake my head in disagreement.

"No. It's just my dirtier judgment didn't exist until I met you," I reply.

"Oh, is that so?" he grins, and I lean back a little to look him in the eyes.

"I'm a virgin." The words come out before I can stop them.

Parrish's lips form a tight line as his body slightly stiffens. He stops moving his fingers on my back as he looks at me so intensely. I just want to hide away from him right now.

"I'm not going to have sex with you, Amelia. Not tonight," he whispers.

I sigh, "Well if not tonight, when? When I'm ready? When you realize I'm not worth your time?"

I've never sounded so vulnerable. I've never been so unsure — never in my life.

He shakes his head softly, and then presses his lips to my forehead momentarily.

"I just want to take this slow, okay? You make me want to be a better person. I'm not good, Penney, but you make me want to be." His stare shoots right through my eyes, causing my breath to lodge in my throat.