Chapter Seventy

I attempt to push all of my fears to the back of my mind as I get ready to enter the front doors.  Jason can't be here right now, but I can't always have him at my side when things get hard. 

Last night, he had made me a bracelet out of black paracord in an effort to help me stay grounded.  I squeeze it as I fight back the tears that were already threatening to fall down my cheeks.

"Serenity?"  Mr. Johnson puts a hand gently on my shoulder when I don't respond to his earlier questions.  "Do you need to come to my room?"

"I..."  My voice fails me as I attempt to find the strength to face the day.

"Come on."  He guides me past the stares and into his classroom.  

My eyes immediately rest on the newspaper that was responsible for the events that lead me to this point.  Soundlessly, I make my way over to it. 

"I never thought I would have a student who could lecture on a topic better than I can."  Mr. Johnson tells me as he comes to study the newspaper.  "I had a feeling that first day in class, that something was bothering you but after watching the news, it's hard for me to find the words to comfort you."

"Why would you need to comfort me?"  I ask as I turn his way.  

"Because, that's what people do when they care."  

"You shouldn't care about me."  I counter a little too quickly.  I've been making a habit of getting defensive when people show too much interest in me.

"I care about all my students,"  he pauses as he goes over to his desk, "but I'm starting to realize that I have so much to learn."  

"I've killed people."  I felt like it needed to be said before he told me anything else.

"I knew that the moment you entered my classroom for the first time.  I served in the Middle East so I know the look that people get after they take someone's life.  You still have it even after all these years."

"It hasn't been years since I killed someone."  I reply quietly.

"When was the last time?" 

"Less than a year ago and before you ask, I can't tell you who it was."

"If you do ever need someone to talk to that isn't within your family, you can come to me, Serenity.  I want to see you succeed and I won't hesitate to do everything in my power to keep you safe from harm."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

English Second Hour:

"I'm not having a murderer attend my class."  My English teacher stands in the door way preventing me from entering.  "I should call the CIA and tell them you're here."

"You're seeming to forget who my parents are."  My attitude catches him off guard.  "If you threaten me again and try to turn me over to the very people who tortured me just a few months ago, then you might want to prepare yourself for the firestorm that will blow your way."

"You have no right to speak to me like this."  He stammers.

"No, I don't but that's not going to stop me, because the very same people who might back you up for me being disrespectful, are the same people who heard you threaten a student.  I'm tired of people like you treating me like I'm beneath you."

"GET OUT!"  He yells before I could continue.  "I'm not going to stand for it.  Your parents may feel that they can assert their power over this school district, but I'm not going to allow them to force me to teach a murderer."

I turn on my heel and head towards the main office before he can say anything else to me.  I already had Tony on speed dial so I call him up as I make my way to the principal's office.

"Hey Tony, it's Serenity.  Just a heads up, my English teacher might contact someone about my location.  He's unhappy with me being in the school...Yup, that's the one....No, I'm currently heading to get my schedule changed....Thanks and I'll keep you posted."  I hang up just as I knock on the door.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"How was your first day back?"  Yuri inquires as we go through our warm up routine.

"English teacher threatened to call the CIA on me."  I don't really have much more to add other than that.  "It's not really a big deal.  Tony should handle it."

"Are you worried?"

I falter in my routine as I consider what he's asking.  I've been alone for most of my life and my worries were always kept hidden and now I have people around me who keep wanting me to tell them what's wrong.  

I squeeze the bracelet Jason made me as I take a deep breath.  I need to focus on the here and now, not the past.  I continue within seconds of me faltering.

"No, I mean I'm not sure he even has the guts to do it.  I guess I'm more worried about the kids and their parents more than the teachers."  I immediately dodge Yuri's attack as he attempts to catch me off guard.

I return his attacks with ones of my own.  It's almost as if my worries start to melt away with every movement.   I feel my brain turns to only focus on the here and now and almost for a brief moment, I forget about the problems outside this room.

Yuri manages to land a punch across my cheek and immediately slams me to the ground as my vision clears. 

I let out a groan as the doors to the gym open.   Jason and Luke stand there hesitantly as they consider what to do next.

"Did we come at the wrong time?"  Luke inquires as he slings his bag onto the floor. 

"No, I'm having you three train together today.  Serenity's getting too comfortable fighting me."  Yuri jokes as my boyfriend joins us on the mat. 

I roll my eyes as he helps me back onto my feet.  My cheek throbs as I tenderly touch it.  It wasn't going to bruise but it will hurt for the next couple of hours at least.

Jason approaches me and I pull him to me.  I wrap my arms around his neck as our lips meet.  His hands find my waist and fire erupts where ever he touches me.  I lean my weight against his chest before finally pulling away.  He pulls me close for one more quick kiss.

"You're lucky I approve."  Yuri growls as he shakes his head at our display of affection.  "Get both of your heads back in the game.  This is life or death now."

"It's always been life or death."  I reply quietly before pushing my feelings into a box and trying to focus only on the task at hand.

"Luke, start working with Serenity.  Anything goes in terms of what I've taught you, and Serenity make sure he's able to continue training tomorrow."

"No hard feelings?"  Luke smiles warmly as we both get in our guard positions.

"I make no promises."  I tease as we quickly start to spar each other.