Chapter Forty-Two

"Any news from my parents?"  I ask Ryan as we get ready to touch down in Kiev.  

Anticipation flooded my body as I started to wonder what I would find once the mutant was discovered.  Would the memories threaten to destroy my relationship with my parents or will it finally shed some truth on the life I've lead?  There's only one way to find out which it will be and that's to get the memories back.

"No, but once we hear from them, there'll be hell to pay.  I hope your ready to face them once we get back."  He informs me as I bite my lip nervously.

"I think we'll both be in the doghouse."  I reply hoping to lighten the mood.  Coulson's team will not be accompanying us into the city.  I convinced Coulson I didn't need backup right now.  Ryan and I could hold our own if it came to it.

"I wanted to ask last night but i didn't feel like it was the time."  Ryan glances my way.  "What did you see yesterday?  You seemed pretty shaken up."  

"It doesn't matter."  

It didn't make sense to tell him the memory, not when I didn't understand the moments that lead up to it.  I was a little shocked that Bucky and I were in a relationship but then again Bucky was also in a relationship with Natasha and a few other people.

Anyways we both didn't know the truth.  He couldn't have known I was his daughter.  Not when he was getting ready to make love to me.

"You know I'm here if you need to talk to someone?"  Ryan asks as we touch down on the landing strip.  I nod before grabbing my backpack. 

We searched the city for several hours before taking shelter in a bar as rain started to fall in heavy turrets outside.  A few people glanced our way as we make our way to a secluded table.

"Want anything?"  I ask as he takes a seat.  He shrugs so I take that as a yes and head towards the bar to order us something.  

"You're far from home, Vera."  A man stands next to me.  "Don't look my way," he quickly tells me before I can study his appearance.  "It's not safe here."

"How do you know me?" I ask keeping my voice to just above a whisper.

"Peter sent me."  Petrov and Peter were one and the same.  I'm not sure how I knew this but part of me seemed to have this thought ingrained in my brain.  "He knows why you're here.  He wants to meet you, but without your companion."

"When and where?" My heart races in my chest as I think about the fact I found Petrov without having to search all of the old Soviet Union.

"Now, if you are willing."  I nod ever so slightly before glancing back towards Ryan.  He was busy talking on the phone so this was the perfect moment to slip away.  I walk over and tell him I'm going to the restroom, before grabbing my bag.

I follow the man out of the bar.  I recognize him as the man who showed me the newspaper in 1989.  He looked older now then he did in my memory.  He doesn't seem to have the ability to stop aging.

"I remember you."  I inform him as he starts leading me down several streets.

"What brought about that memory?"  He asks as he quickens his pace.  I hurry to catch up with him.

"An old copy of that newspaper from 1989.  It actually triggered all my memories."  

"Petrov put in that trigger in case you needed to find your memories.  I never knew what memory it would be but I am honored that it was my face."  

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The red door brings about painful memories that I can't picture right now.  It's amazing how I can remember the pain but not what caused it.

I falter in my resolve wondering for the first time since I followed the man out of the bar, if this really was the real deal or was Hydra tricking me back into their hands?  It's hard to tell considering the man is in my memories and Petrov was the one who locked them away.

My hand stretches towards the door and repeats the pattern I knew by heart.  I step back from the door as I await my fate.

"Vera," Petrov stood in front of me.  He seemed surprised that I was finally here and almost for a moment I believe that he really is on my side.  "Where's Winter?"  He asks searching behind me.   I finally notice the disappearance of my escort.

"I came alone."  I reply staying in English just as he was.  "I want my memories back."  

"I've been waiting sixteen years for you to tell me that."  He ushers me inside.  "This is the oldest I've ever seen you."  He smiles as he takes in my appearance.

"Can you bring back my memories?"  

"Yes, I kept a backdoor open in case you ever came back.  I'm assuming you've broken free from Hydra's grasp."  I nod confirming his suspicion.  "Has Winter also found a way out?"  I nod again.  "Good, it's about time you two got a break."

"He's my father."  I felt the need to tell him.

"Really?"  He seemed surprised by that fact.  "From the memories I've erased, I wouldn't have guessed that."  He shrugs like it doesn't matter now.  "How much of the procedure do you remember?"

"You taking my coat.  Leading me to the back room.  Making me get on the cold metal table.  You strapping me down.  Then the giant needle you inserted into my neck.  Then a rush of acid as it floods my bloodstream.  Two hands on the side of my head.  Then nothing."  

"Hate to say it but I do beautiful work."  He sadly smiles before offering to take my coat.  "Almost same process as last time, but a little different since we're giving you back your memories not taking them."

"We?"  I ask as I follow him to the back room.

"I've been training an assistant since apparently this is still a sought after mutation.  You never had the courtesy of meeting my son,"  A man around my age stares as I come into the room.

"Is this her?"  He asks in Ukrainian.  The father nods before motioning to the table.

"Deja vu."  I joke as I willing get on the table.  "Will his hurt like last time?"

"There should be a little more discomfort this time.  These memories are not going to be pleasant."  He reminds me as the restraints are applied.

"Wait, can I call Bucky before we start?  In case this doesn't go as planned?" He nods before handing me a phone.  I quickly dial Bucky's work phone and wait patiently for his voice.

I get voicemail.

"Dad, if you're listening to this, then you'll know I'm not back home any more.  I had to get answers.  Please don't blame Ryan I would have found a way without him.  Anyways, I found Petrov and he's going to give me back my memories."  A lump forms as I think about what else to say.

"If something goes wrong and I don't make it, take care of Dima for me.  I'm not sure how he would live without me but just take care of him.  Tell mom I love her and not to blame anyone.  This was my decision.  I love you daddy and I forgive you."

Bucky Barnes' Daughterजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें