Chapter Twenty-One

One Month Later:

"Do we do anything for the 4th of July?"  I ask Nat one morning as we get ready for our daily run.  "I mean, I know it's Cap's birthday."  I trail off trying to find the right words.  "Does Cap even celebrate his birthday?"

"You're very talkative this morning."  Nat tells me as we start our run.  Dima stays by my side as we make our way around the compound.  Nikolai left yesterday for Russia again.  He offered to take me back with him but I didn't accept the invitation.  I wanted to meet the band of misfits he called his family but I had my own family now.

"I've just been thinking a lot."  I tell her.  "So does he?"

"We usually shoot off fireworks, but he doesn't really celebrate his birthday anymore."  Nat informs me as I pick up my pace.  My knee is doing better but I knew I was pushing myself too much right now.

"I want to make him a cake."  Dima barely had time to warn me before I tripped over a branch that was sticking out of the ground.  I instinctively use my training to buffer the fall.  I forgot about my injured knee though and landed on that side, sending searing pain up my leg.

Dima immediately started nudging me with his nose, trying to make sure I was okay. Nat approached me but Dima gave her a warning growl before laying next to me.

"Dima, I'm safe."  I put my hand in Dima's fur and thankfully he allows Nat to come over to me.  

"Can you stand?"  Nat asks and I move but the pain in my knee prevents me from standing.  My bare leg was covered in a mixture of blood and dirt.  There was a four inch cut on the side of my leg.

"I think it looks worse than it really is."  I look up at Nat as hoping she would offer some words of comfort.

"We'll need help."  Nat pulls out her cell phone and calls Bucky.  It took him a few minutes to find us and I could see the concern written plainly on his features when he sees all the blood.

"I'm fine.  It's just a cut."  I assure him as he picks me up in his arms.  I wrap my arms around his neck as I fought the tears.  I wasn't going to cry, not in front of him again.  He carries me back to the compound.  Dima stays close to Bucky and he even barks a warning when he sees something he could trip on.

"Winter, please don't go!"  I sob as he walks away from me.  HYDRA was sending him out on a mission but I don't know how I'll survive without him here with me.  I run after him and I grab his metal hand.  "I need you."

He doesn't stop and turn back to me.  Instead he pulls away and my hand drops to my side.  I held back my tears as he continues to walk away.  He wouldn't be the same when he came back, he never was.  Instead, he'll be the monster who scares me at night.  I watch him hoping he would turn around one last time.

But he doesn't turn around. 

I can't stop myself so  I run after him again.  I wouldn't let him leave without telling me goodbye.  I just couldn't.

"Bucky!"  I call his real name this time and he stops, falters in his resolve.  "You promised."

"I know that kid."  He replies turning to face me.  "I'll be back before you know it."  He assures me and I run into his arms.  He hugs me tightly.

I barely came up to the middle of his chest.  I'm still a kid in his eyes but I lost my innocence not too long ago.  He hugs me but quickly pulls away when we hear footsteps.  He brushes away a tear with his metal thumb and lifts my chin up.

"Be strong."

I snap back to reality and I lean my head against his chest.  He looks down at me concerned but doesn't ask what was going through my mind.  Instead, he quickens his pace.  I wanted to ask if he remembered that memory but I don't want to bring up what happened before that moment. 

Bucky carries me through the side door so blood wouldn't be everywhere.  I was already bleeding through the bandaged Nat made for me from my torn pants.

"Banner, we need you."  Bucky calls to Banner as we pass Banner's room.  His door was open slightly and he quickly followed us when he heard the urgency in Bucky's voice.

"What happened?"  Banner asks when Bucky gently puts me down on the bed.

"I tripped."  I explain and I notice Dima anxiously sitting by the bed.  "Dima,"  My voice trails off.

"Dima, heel."  Nat calls and my dog glances my way before following the orders he was given. I felt guilty sending Dima away but I don't want him to hurt anyone when he hears me cry in pain.  I knew he wouldn't be able to control himself.  It's better if he's with Nat.

"You know the drill, kid."  I nodded as Banner quickly got to work setting up an I.V.  After pain medication was racing through my system, Banner got to work cleaning away the blood and dirt.

"Hold still."  Bucky puts a hand on my shoulder as if to remind me not to move.  I wanted to fight him and move away but I didn't fight with him.  "What did you do to anger them today?"

I didn't say anything as the cloth touched the raw skin on my back.  I whimper in pain.  Bucky stops for a moment but then he continues.  He tried to cause me as little pain as possible but even he couldn't stop the tears that were falling down my cheeks.

"Please hold still."  He begs as he gets to work stitching up my back.  There was no pain medication to dull my pain.  Instead, he did it with me being fully aware of the needle that sewed my torn skin back together.

"Serenity?"  Bucky touches my hand gently and I glance his way.  "I'm here, and I promise I won't leave you."