Last One Standing

The Last One Standing

“I really can hunt alone thank you Sesshomaru. I find it too personal.” Augusta said staring at the inu lord.

“Every inch of your body this Sesshomaru knows and hunting is too personal?” he asked incredulously.

“I do not need a chaperone. You and I have become friendly with benefits; it does not entitle you to command me.” She said flippantly.

“What? Explain your meaning.” He said narrowing his eyes.

“I bit you and we rut now and then. If I did not want to see Magatushi die a most painful death then I would have left a long time ago. It is circumstances that have drawn us together. The sex is not bad either.” She said with hands on her hips.

Sesshomaru promptly turned on his heel and walked away from the infuriating onna. He really hated arguing with her and felt as if he was talking to his brother. She followed him back to the camp where Kohaku and Rin slept. The kappa had learned to keep quiet as the new pack member was rather harpy like at times.

“You know you can drop the third person act too.” She whispered.

He stopped then turned and narrowed his eyes. He motioned for her to follow him and they left the camp again.

“You have become a member of this pack and I am its alpha. Your powers will be useful in the defeating of the dark hanyou and his ilk.” He said emphasizing the word I.

“Well Lord of all I see, Hunting and feeding are two things I do by myself. This little onna can protect herself now. You have trained me quite well with a blade.” She said sarcastically.

He growled at her disrespect and impertinence. She crossed arms over her chest and stared him down.

“I have no wish to make you see reason, most of the time you are without it anyway.” He snorted.

“I see no reason to ruin a perfectly amiable alliance. I like and somewhat respect you and you tolerate me; it works well. My people see hunting of prey to be extremely intimate and really to only be done with off spring or partners. You are neither so therefore you will not be participating.” She said reasonably.

“Hn.” He replied.

“Oh there you go. Whatever. Go and pout like a petulant puppy because I affronted your damn alpha rights. I hate this damn country!” she snapped and walked away.

He watched her walk a distance and shook his head at his concern for her. He really should not care. She was a willing and available partner in rutting and a powerful ally. She was a beauty but she had opinions about everything! It was enough to drive a sane youki off a cliff. He found himself regretting her last words about hating the islands. He shrugged and sat underneath a tree and kept watch over the ningen children. He sighed and felt the need to find safer grounds for Rin and Kohaku. Rin popped up briefly and crawled over to the taiyouki and laid her head in his lap and fell back asleep. He looked down at her and his lips formed a frown.

Augusta watched the inu youki and sighed. She put a clawed hand to her belly and knew profound regret. She had slipped and became pregnant. She could mask the scent for awhile but she had no intentions of being tied to anyone or anything. Constant movement was the key to her freedom. She had become overly fond of the dog daemon and his group but refused to allow it any further. Love was messy and unpredictable. She would raise her child her way and the hell to everyone else.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

“Wake up!” he demanded.