“For me?” she asked Victoria.

“Yes.”

Sophie eagerly took the teddy bear and held it close. Victoria looked back at me with a smile.

“What do you say, Soph?” I asked.

“Thank you.” she responded.

“You’re welcome sweetie.” Victoria replied.

I let out a sigh of relief. This is starting to go well. Sophie seems to think more of Victoria now that she got a gift from her.

“That was easy.” Victoria said, standing up. She came over to me and I wrapped my arms around her waist.

“This is a one time thing, right?” I asked. “I don’t want you to keep getting her gifts.”

“The bear was really just an ice breaker.”

“Good. So what else do you want to do today?”

“Wasn’t the point to spend time with Sophie?”

“Yeah, but that means there’s no us time.” I pouted.

“I’m sure you’ll be fine.” she reached up and gave me a quick kiss.

She pulled away from me and went back over to Sophie. She sat on the floor in front of her and pointed to the picture Sophie was drawing.

“This is pretty.” Victoria said to Sophie.

“It’s a pretty princess.” Sophie explained.

“Oh really? Well she is a very pretty princess. Do you know any real princesses?”

I sat on the couch and relaxed as I watched them bond. I smiled as Sophie ran to her small dress up box and pulled out a plastic tiara. She placed it on her head and gave a big smile.

“Now I’m a pretty princess!” Sophie exclaimed.

“I see.” Victoria said. “But every princess needs a prince.”

“Daddy is my prince.” Sophie declared.

“Of course I am.” I say. “Who else would it be?”

I stood then picked up Sophie. I danced us around the living room and smiled as Sophie laughed. I can never get enough of her laughter. It’s the sweetest thing I’ve ever heard. I make my goal to make her laugh at least twice a day.

I spin us around one more time before placing her back on the floor. I plopped down on the couch and sighed.

“You sure can dance.” I said to Sophie. “I’m pooped. Maybe you should go play some more while I rest.’

“Okay, daddy.”

Sophie began to pull out some more of her toys and Victoria came to sit next to me.

“Seeing you with her is the cutest thing.” Vicky said. “You really are a great dad.”

“I try.” I shrugged. “It’s not easy, you know. I some how have to make time for her and school. I can see why teen parents drop out. When I try to do my homework, she wants to play or needs something. And I don’t have enough time to be a teenager and hang out with my friends. I have to be an adult. But I wouldn’t change a thing. She’s my little girl and I’d do anything for her.”

“Do you think it would be easier if her mom was here to help?”

“I haven’t really though about it. I haven’t thought of her mother since the day she left Sophie on my doorstep. I’m guessing she wouldn’t be that good of a mother since it was so easy for her to leave her newborn child behind.”