Chapter 18

Chapter 18

*Victoria*

            I can feel the tension rolling off of Aaron as we make our way through the food court. I glanced up at him and could see he was focused on getting as far away from his friends as possible. His grip around my hand is a little too tight and I’m speed walking, nearly running, just to keep up with him. Sophie continued to complain about her stomach hurting as she straddled Aaron’s hip and held on tightly to his shirt.

“Aaron.” I said breathlessly, trying to get his attention, but he didn’t listen. “Aaron stop.” I continued. “You’re nearly pulling my arm out of the socket.”

            He slowed to a stop and released me. He looked at me apologetically and I reached up to place my hand on his cheek.

“Breathe.” I said softly. “Everything is going to be fine.”

“Did you see the way they looked at me? Did you see the way they looked at Sophie? First they thought she was cute, and then they looked at her like and abomination. I knew they’d react like that. That’s why I never told them. That’s why I’ve never told anyone.”

“I understand, but you can’t get so worked up over this. If they can’t accept that you have a daughter, then they’re not really your friends. The people who accept what you are, are the ones you should surround yourself with. Even if it is just Caleb and me.”

            I hate seeing him so upset about this. He’s such a great father and no one should make him feel guilty about that.

*Aaron*

            I pulled through the gates of Moorhead Prep. I know I shouldn’t be here. This is the last place I should ever go to. Victoria isn’t a mother. She doesn’t understand how it feels to lie to your friends and worry about what they may think of you. But just maybe Grace understands what I’m going through.

            I parked outside the dorms and text Grace that I was outside. A minute later she text back saying she was on her way outside.

            I got out of the car and leaned against the car door. Soon Grace came outside wearing black yoga pants and a sweatshirt.

“Hey.” she greeted me, tucking a piece of her hair behind her ear. “What are you doing here?”

“I uh… need to talk to somebody. Do you have a minute?”

“I was kind of in the middle of studying for a test I have tomorrow.” she frowned.

“Oh, okay. I’ll see you later then.”

            I turned to get back in my car but she grabbed my arm, stopping me. I faced her and she gave a worried look.