Chapter 22 - Feyre

Feyre

My breathing was heavy as myself and Azriel stepped away from each other. It was cold here, colder than I remembered, but I definitely remembered. The first place where I saw the Court of Dreams. I smiled to myself slightly at the memory, what had happened on that day, and how long ago it felt. Years, not the week and a half that it had actually been. 
"How are we going to contact Rhysand?" Azriel asked, observing the place where we had landed, and obviously recognising it too. "You know, I knew you wee going to be trouble as soon as you arrived. I wasn't surprised when everything that happened did. But I have one more question, for the purpose of stalling, why lie for us?" We made eye contact then, and I didn't know how to answer, because there were no words to describe my reasoning. A blur of emotions? But it was more purposeful than that. Love? But it was more complicated than that. In fact, it was neither, and both at the same time.
"I lied because..." I started the sentence but still couldn't finish it.
"I would do the same." He said, his voice softer than I had ever heard it. "For the same reasons as you. Only, I have known them all for decades, centuries, why do you feel this way only after a week?" That, was even more complicated. It was something about the High Lord, some sort of attachment or need to do it. But I didn't feel that for the others, I still felt something, but not the same thing. Something weaker. Something that was pushed to the side of my mind and sat there.
"Because some things you just know." I said, and we had been talking for long enough. "Are you ready? Because from now on, you are dead to everyone except this Court." He nodded certainly,
"Its better than being a shadow in the corner of everyones' mind, this is more certain." I smiled, there was something familiar about those emotions. So I closed my eyes and pulled on that bond between me and Rhys and his anger spilled out.
Don't talk just listen. I said, before he started saying anything. Azriel is safe and sound at the townhouse, and I need you to stop yourself from murdering me when I get back. Because it is the only way that this plan will work, and it is our only chance.
He was silent, not even a whisper, and then there was one word. Fine. And I grinned visibly and opened my eyes.
"I'll see you on the other side of this, Shadowsinger." And with Azriel's nod of approval, I winnowed back to the Dawn Court, into a room of chaos. 

All motion stopped when I entered the room again. It seemed that both Tamlin and Lucien had disappeared before I had arrived again, and all Courts were in a war of more than words now. Everyone was shouting at each other, magic was strung throughout the air. As I arrived, Rhys' little show began, and so did mine. He looked defeated as I arrived, not Azriel, and he fell back into his chair, his head in his hands.
"You killed him." Cassian snarled at me, because he didn't know that Azriel was fine and well, sitting in the townhouse, like he normally did. But Cassian's eyes glowed with a rage I had never seen before, not in him at least, but when he lunged for me, Rhysand put and hand on his arm, stopping him in his tracks. I smirked, as much as it hurt me, I smirked and sat back down in my chair gently.
"Lets not be brash, and finish this discussion. It seems I will be representing the Spring Court from now on." I spoke, my voice unwavering and queenly. A voice I had never known I would have to use, nor a voice I ever wanted to use again. Cassian sat down tautly in his seat, and Mor looked broken, already sitting in her own chair. It made me scream inside, screaming to be released from the mask, but I couldn't, not now, because I had said to to Rhys myself. This was our only chance. For a future worth living.
"Azriel is dead?" Thesan asked, clarifying the situation for all of the High Lords who were currently regaining their composure. I nodded in conformation, still smirking through the pain of the lie. Through the pain of looking at my Court. 
"Whatever happened to you Under the Mountain turned you into a monster." Rhysand said, finally lifting his head from his hands. Their was a fire in his eyes that I didn't know how he faked. 
"The same could be said for most of the people here, war does strange things to people. And considering that I have gained complete control of the Spring Court, then perhaps it is a good thing I am such a monster." That scared people, that I could control the Spring Court, and I saw their alliance changing, shifting. That make me smile even more inside, because it as working. It was all working.
"So this war, to you, is just a game? A game to win a land that is already claimed?" My sly smile broadened.
"Isn't that what war is?" Then peoples' alliances had truly shifted, and no one was in favour of the Spring Court, or me. 
"It seems we will all need to think on this." Thesan spoke for everybody, as the other nodded in agreement.
"It seems we all know that our enemy is sitting in the same room." Cassian snarled at me, and all of the High Lords.
"Cassian." Rhysand said, his voice a warning tone. "Feyre picked her side." He looked up at me, and I swear he winked.
"Farewell then. I hope you all make a similar choice." I said, and the underlying message of my comment was only understood by one person in the room, the High Lord of Night. And as I winnowed away, I swear I felt a caress down the bond, so I smiled to myself. Because now I knew what I was fighting for, and it was more than just peace. It was my life, so I could feel that all over again.