Nothing Super (Teen Fiction/Sci-Fi)(COMPLETED)

The world was shrouded in darkness, night holding court in the sky. The light of the pale moon and its companion constellations illuminated a lone figure sitting on a roof top. From her perch fourteen stories up, Taylor could see most of the darkened city. Only a few windows held the single glow of late night readers. From that high up the street lamps looked like fireflies and cars like children's toys.

Though what she stared out on was called a city, she felt it wasn't deserving of the title. Though it held a dozen or so buildings that teetered over the double digit line with the number of stories they had, there wasn't a road that didn't eventually lead to a suburban neighborhood. In total the city took up a less than hundred blocks. The family established areas ringed the feeble tempted metropolis. To Taylor the city looked like a bachelor who had started a company but half way through gotten married and settled down.

A plastic crinkling sound filled the night as Taylor dug her hand into the chip bag. When discovering she had already emptied the contents, she lifted the bag up and tilted her head back, accepting any last crumbs the bag might still hold. Not at all satisfied, she balled the bag and shoved it into her pocket. Her eyelids dipped once and she rubbed out them furiously to keep sleep at bay.

Around her everyone was lost to a blissful world of sleep. Part of her wondered if she should give in and join the rest of society in its pass time. But she had only stopped one car theft and felt it was a pitiful result of almost five hours of waiting. Tugging out her phone, she checked the time. It was a little past two in the morning. She figured she would give it another half an hour. The bars were all closing and if anything were to happen it would be about now.

Yawning into the back of her gloved hand, she waited. Dressed all in black, she looked like a forgotten shadow sitting on the edge of the roof ledge. Her black tennis shoes occasionally swung, bumping the stone building. Even with the moon spotlighting her, her face was invisible, her milk chocolate skin blending into the shadow of her lowered hood.

When the minutes began to stretch and her eyes found it hard to focus, Taylor stood. Peace had seemed to visit the city that night. She was about to leave when she felt it. It was like a second pulse. Something in her chest that heard a silent cry. It was a feeling that had appeared six months ago. A feeling Taylor now knew like the beating of her own heart. It was a call for help only she could hear.

With a single thought, the world around her vanished.

When it reappeared the roof top was gone and she stood on sidewalk in the heart of the city, drawn to the pulsing feeling. For her the feeling of teleporting was like walking through a sheet of water. Shocking, refreshing and soft. It was a sensation that had become familiar to her like an old friend's smile.

Turning once, Taylor found what the feeling had pulled her to. Down a side alley - across from the city's rowdiest bar - was a man backed against the wall, cowering. The reason why was apparent in the mountain of the man standing over him with a gun pointed at his chest. Taylor registered this in a moment's glance and acted. She popped out of sight and popped back in only this time she was right beside the mugger.

"Guns are dangerous," she said.

The instant the mugger swung to see who had spoken, Taylor disappeared. When she showed up again she was on his other side.

"I'm serious, you should be careful."

The man plastered to the wall, had stopped whimpering and was staring wide eyed at Taylor. The attacker spun around and when he did Taylor was ready. In his startled state, she grabbed the gun from his hand. It was a tactic she had successfully used many times.

What she hadn't anticipated was the man's reaction time.

A fist came out of nowhere and slammed into Taylor's face. The pain was blinding and on instinct she vanished, reappearing yards away. Stars danced before her eyes and she blinked furiously, trying to rid herself of them. The pounding of footsteps sent Taylor's adrenaline skyrocketing and she blinked out of existence for a second. When she managed to focus her eyes again, she discovered she was on the rooftop where the night had started.