Green Eyes (Teen Fiction)

Chapter 1

Sammy twisted in front of the full-length mirror, inspecting her appearance. Snatching her phone off the bathroom sink, she pulled up the Green Eyes app. She and Collin had created the name for the app from two phrases, 'green with envy' and 'beauty is in the eyes of the beholder'. The irony was Sammy had green eyes.

When she found Kyle Hutchinson's profile, she scanned his given information and studied the picture of his ex-friend. She glanced back at her reflection. Slipping out of her Converses shoes, she traded them for a pair of canvas Keds. There, that was what the outfit needed. Still sporty but falling towards girlish.

As Sammy started to run a brush through her blonde hair, Collin appeared in the bathroom doorway. He looked pale and his eyes still held a listless quality to them. Sammy gripped the handle of the brush, wishing it was Stephanie Miller's neck. The only thing Sammy liked about the girl was the fact that she was no longer in Collin's life.

"Have you eaten anything at all today?" Sammy asked, tying her hair into a high ponytail.

"Yes."

Sammy raised her eyebrows, skeptical. "Besides a pop tart?"

"I'm pretty sure mom's spidey senses would have picked up on the fact that sugar existed in the house and sniffed it out."

"That's not an answer."

"Yes, I've eaten."

Sammy didn't believe him but decided to leave it at that. She'd pick them up something to eat on her way home. If she sat right in front of him then there was no way he could avoid eating.

"What number is this?" Collin asked.

"Eight in the last two weeks," Sammy said, beaming.

Sweeping up her discarded Converses, Sammy almost skipped across the hall and tossed her shoes towards her closet.

"I'm not going to lie," Sammy said, swinging her bag's strap over her head. "I feel like I can hear the admission administrators at UCLA murmuring to each other, wondering why there is a shift in the wind, why they feel like the greatest psychology student to grace their campus is only a few months away from turning in the most astounding application they've ever seen."

Collin smiled. "You sure it isn't just you blowing hot air up their-"

"Collin! This is our baby, our destiny. This one project will guarantee your future with MIT and mine with UCLA, have a little respect, please."

Collin didn't look so sure, but Sammy knew his hesitancy to believe in their scheme stemmed from insecurity. Having to spend one year of his early school life correcting his vision problems had put him in the same class as his younger sister. Though this was a simple explanation, other students had thought it was because he was held back and always made Collin doubt his brilliance. Sammy for one had never doubted it.

"I have to go," Sammy said. "Try to get out of the house and away from the computer screens for a little bit. Maybe go sit by the pool."

Collin nodded but Sammy knew he wouldn't do it. Again she imagined strangling Stephanie, even if the girl was the reason the Green Eyes app had been created.

Sending off a message to Kyle letting him know she was on her way, Sammy climbed into her pre-owned Toyota and drove out of the luxury condo complex. The sun was a couple of hours from setting when Sammy parked alongside a curb, two blocks away from Davenport Lake. A few cars down, she spotted Kyle nervously playing with his phone and searching the passing cars. He was an average teenage boy, medium build, hair a bit too long, decent enough looks, and an outfit that definitely came straight off a clothes mannequin.