The Next Chapter (Teen Fiction)

The window whined making Harper wince at the sound. She paused, waiting to hear she had been detected. A deep snore came from inside and she let out an inaudible breath. Inching the window up, she managed to get an opening big enough for her small frame. She climbed in and rested her feet on the soft carpeting. The room was pitch black and the occupant remained slumbering. The place smelled woodsy and something she could only describe as Søren.

Holding her breath, she crossed the room and climbed onto the bed. Søren remained unaware of his impending doom.

With a great bounce she yelled, "Wake up cousin, we're going to the zoo!" She proceeded to jump on the mattress.

Søren jerked awake. "Son of sea turtle! Harper, what the heck are you doing?"

Bleary eyed, he tried to hit her legs but she danced out of reach, all the time laughing at his feeble efforts. After a second of blind flailing he gave up and collapsed back onto his bed, laying one arm over his eyes.

Harper flopped on to the bed beside him, wearing an impish grin. Side by side the cousins were a vast contrast, light and dark. Soft blonde hair framed Harper's snapping blue eyes, straight nose, and cherub face. The countenance as a whole presented a sweet tableau. A mask that conveniently concealed a devious and quick witted mind. On the other hand Søren had tan skin, a well defined face with hazel eyes and a mess of short brown hair. It was a collection of attributes he never failed to use to his advantage.

"Why must you torture me so?" he asked.

"Because Tall One, it is officially our time! The first day of a summer where we remain unbound by the laws that govern adults! Free from the restraints of high school mediocrity! Lifted from the ties of the confining institution the world refers to as education! Graduates of life and scholars of all!"

"And the last two days don't count because...?"

She slapped his stomach. "Because it was the weekend! Now is the true beginning of our liberation from high school! We enter the limbo of graduates but not yet college attendees. We face the beautiful dilemma of a summer where no restrictions stop us and real life has yet begun."

"Yes, and I had planned to spend that new found freedom in the pleasant company of my bed and a good dream. Too bad I am related to a nightmare."

Drunk on the prospect of the future, Harper laughed, the sound skipping around the olive green room. The edge of Søren's mouth twitched, his bad mood brief and his sleep slipping away.

"Where do we plan to start this endeavor of ours?"

Harper scrambled to her feet, standing over him. "The only logical place a true adventure should begin! Breakfast my good lad!"

Pushing aside his blankets, Søren got out of bed, flipping on the light. The room was made up of dark furniture and a sense of a methodical and intelligent owner.

"Am I allowed to get dressed or will you be hog tying me and dragging me to breakfast."

"Best to let you get dressed," she said. "I haven't hogged tied anyone in ages. It is a talent that if you don't keep up you lose."

"I've often heard that."

As Søren ducked into his closet Harper plopped down and sat cross legged on his bed. He emerged a moment later wearing a black t-shirt and jeans, running his hands through his wild hair. Harper cocked her head.

"That shirt looks familiar," she said.

"As I have no doubt all my clothes do to you."

She scampered off the bed and examined the shirt more closely. Nudging her aside, he walked to a mirror.