Totally Normal (Teen Fiction)

Jackie snapped open the glasses case, revealing a pair of glasses that looked like they had belonged to someone's father in the 80s. Large lens with a thin frame. Simply put they were out of style and ugly. Jackie beamed, they were perfect!

She took off the black, rectangle framed glasses, seeing now how those looked far too fashionable and sleek. Putting on the old glasses, she took a step back from the full-length mirror to get the complete effect.

The frames obscured her make-up free heart-shaped face and seemed to distract from her green eyes. The old, worn shirt she wore clashed with her naturally tan skin. Her jeans were a couple of sizes too big but not in a way that looked fashionably intentional. Though they were completely intentional. She'd even put off washing her hair so her messy auburn ponytail looked unappealing.

In a single word, she could sum up her perfectly orchestrated appearance: frumpy.

Jackie almost clapped with delight. She looked perfect.

Snatching up the second-hand backpack she'd bought at a thrift store, she left her room. Her success almost had her skipping down the long hallway. She descended a curved staircase that overlooked a living room decorated in a neutral pallet, the splashes of color coming from the impressionist paintings on the walls. The wall leading to the backyard was made entirely of glass, offering a view of a furnished patio and glistening pool.

Jackie used the banister to swing herself towards the kitchen. With the house's vaulted ceiling and open archways, she could hear the voices of the talk show hosts coming from the TV.

"I know I'm not the only one who feels strange about going into this new school year," one of them said. "The newest season of Family Traits has marked the start for the last twenty-five years and a year ago they announced their final season."

"I know what you mean," the co-host said. "That show has been part of my life since I can remember. I know the conclusion of the show is something everyone is still talking about."

"Well, one of the things. I think everyone is equally talking about the absence of Jaz. We've watched this sweet girl grow up from a baby and now, poof! She's out of our lives."

"Oh! It's so true! It seems our spunky girl-next-door has left the neighborhood."

"It's been a month since there's been a peep on any of her social media accounts. Where is she? What she up to?"

Jackie strode into the kitchen and caught the talk show hosts animatedly questioning the absence of Jaz. Jackie's mother leaned against the kitchen counter, holding a mug and scrolling through her phone.

"What do you think?" Jackie announced.

Her mother took a sip of her coffee as she turned around. Seeing Jackie's attire, she nearly spit up the coffee all over her tailored pantsuit. Her mother's reaction made Jackie smile wider.

"Jasmine," her mother said. "I know that you're excited about this plan, but do you have to look so...sad."

"It's Jackie for this year," Jackie said. "Not Jasmine or Jaz. Just plain ole Jackie. And this is perfect! No one will care to look at me! I'll be completely and utterly normal and average!"

She would no longer be Jaz, the girl-next-door, the 'Oh jeez!' girl. The thought of going to places and not having people stare at her filled Jackie with absolute glee. She could walk down the sidewalk and not be stopped or bombarded. She could order coffee without hearing the whispers of the baristas as she waited. Freedom!

"Are those your father's glasses?" her mother asked.

"Yes! Aren't they great!"

Her mother took in her outfit once again and shook her head. Jackie understood the distress, after all, it had been her mother who curated her girl-next-door vibe since the very beginning. Which was only to be expected from a media consultant. One with a knack for redesigning any stars' look and making it stick.