Timeless (Sci-fi)

The tumult of the traffic jammed street blared in Thea's ears. Cars spat out noxious fumes that clogged the air way. Drivers spat out foul words, adding to the layer of grim coating the city. Harassed pedestrians rushed down the congested sidewalk, barely bothering to look back when they collided shoulders. Thea lifted her mug to her lips and breathed in the strong bitter scent of coffee.

The world blustered around her, storm clouds stirring in faces and lightening cracking in their glares.

Thea took another sip and waited.

Across from her lay a dark alley, the ground lined with years of trodden down trash and walls painted with years of dirt. The sky over head held the same bleak outlook that was stored in the thoughts of the city's inhabitants.

A waiter appeared from inside the coffee shop with a steaming pot of coffee.

"Refill, miss?" the young man asked, giving Thea a flirty look.

"No," Thea said, waving a hand, not bothering to glance in his direction.

The waiter left with a disappointed look and Thea returned to her contemplation of the forbidding alley.

The coffee in her mug eventually turned cold. She rose, giving up the alley as a lost cause. She pulled on her coat and was turning away, when she caught sight of something in the corner of her eye.

She spun back, her attention captured by the alley. A haze appeared a few feet in, as if a single cloud had descended into the tight space. The noise of the busy sidewalk and the arguing of the backed in cars vanished. Thea stood rooted to the spot, her gaze never wavering.

From the subtle haze stepped a man in his early twenties, with short wavy brown hair and dark gray eyes. He wore elegant boots, pressed trousers, suspenders, a button up shirt and a coat that looked as if it was ahead of it's time or from a different time all together.

With the confidence of one who knows his role in the world, he stepped out of the alley.

He briefly looked both way before taking off down the sidewalk. Thea carelessly tossed money on the table and took off after him. She cut across the street with the ease of someone who knew they were invincible. Horns screamed at her as drivers pelted her with unsavory words. Her target never left her sight, the world blurring around her.

She pushed past layers of pedestrians, fighting to move closer. With the strength and fluidity of water, the man moved through the crowd. The chase, known to only one side, continued out of the broken down section of the city and to the cleaner, better smelling section.

Drab clothes, and haggard faces shifted to finely tailored suits and haughty expressions. The sidewalks thinned and Thea bulled ahead, gaining on the man.

When she was a few feet away from him, the building before them exploded.

The world was shaken to its core as chunks of brick, glass and wood pinwheeled through the air. The shock wave slammed Thea into the wall. Pieces of wall bounced down the sidewalk. Thick gray dust choked the air. Faceless, dust coated figures staggered away from the blast, coughing violently. Thea pushed herself up and blinked, focusing her vision.

The world was drowned in an endless gray haze. The tail ends of a coat flickered in Thea's peripheral vision. She turned and saw the man disappear into the chaos. Thea sprinted after him, dodging out of the way of stumbling forms and jumping over prone bodies. She caught sight of the man as he raced up the steps, taking them two at a time.

Thea pushed ahead, following his trail. As the man was reaching the top of the steps, a group of six thieves spilled from the exploded building, each of them carrying a large duffel bag.

Thea's target didn't hesitate.

He charged the group, fists flying and legs kicking. Thea's pace didn't pause for a second as she rushed into the fray. One of the thieves slipped past the man and Thea kicked out his legs, sending him sprawling on the stairs. She ducked a swing from another thief, and punched his stomach, doubling him over. Taking hold of his head, Thea brought up her knee, rendering the thief unconscious. She spun towards the rest of the group and the man who stood in the center, battling four men at once.

The man moved with an effortlessness that spoke of hundreds of fights fought and won. He blocked and dodged blow after blow, while every single one of his blows landed precisely where he planned them to.

Thea stepped forward and swung her leg around, clipping one of the thieves with her boot. She was already moving to the next thief before the one before even crumbled to the ground.

Thea faltered as the same haze appeared a few feet away.

One of the thieves tried to turn from the fight and make for the haze, but the man grabbed him and tossed him to the ground. A flash of metal caught Thea's attention as one of the thieves whipped out a gun and pointed it at the back of the man's head. Without thinking, Thea raced into the sight of the gun.

A crack resounded through the air.

Thea was pushed back by the force of the bullet ripping through her chest.

Lightning pain tore through her body as she collapsed to the ground. The edges of her vision slowly dimmed as the sound of the world became muffled. Blurry figures fought in her vision. Then a second later the outline of a striking face appeared before her.

The man moved his lips, but Thea heard nothing. Her own lips tried to form words, but nothing came. With her last bit of energy she reached up to his coat, trying to force her thoughts from her mouth.

A subtle warmth encased her hand, as the man gripped her fingers. Pain leeched the last of Thea's energy from her.

Every limb filled with lead and her heart gave its last weak beats.

Her blue eyes locked one last time on the man's gray ones.

Her lungs pushed out one final breath of air before collapsing.

Cold snaked into every inch of her.

As the world went black one last thought cut through Thea's mind.

"I hate this part."

**************

Whatto!

Crazy ending right?!? Be honest did you see that coming?? Haha of course you didn't! 😉 So what do you think? This can be in general or about the chapter! Either one!

General plot of this story: Thea is working with Vincent (The man who was kicking serious butt). Vincent can travel through time and space, while Thea can regenerate. They work together to keep the Timeline in order. That means solving crimes and stopping other time manipulators from rewriting history. Its very much an action, adventure, romance sort of story!

Vote, comment, follow! Go fight off six thieves with a really hot guy! I know that's what I'm going to do!