A Siren's Song (Teen Fiction/Sci-Fi)

The black SUV glided to a stop outside the hotel. Flashes from cameras were already lighting up the night sky before Jinx even exited the car. Muffled voices shouted out questions. A hulking man in black stepped from the front seat and moved to Jinx's door. Jinx pulled her long loose curls over her shoulders. Her hair was a deep purple, so deep it had the appearance of being black, only when she shifted and it caught the light did its true color stand out.

The bodyguard pulled the car door open and Jinx was besieged with the lightening camera flashes as a tidal wave of voices crashed over her, dulling the sound of the city just beyond. A barricade of black suited men formed around her as she exited the car. Men with eager faces desperately pressed against the ring of muscular men, trying to capture images of her sapphire eyes, full, red lips and porcelain skin.

"Who are you dating?" a man called out.

"Ariel! What is the reason for you sudden success?"

"Where did you come from?"

"Ariel, how do you account for your single beating every record?"

"Tell us how you have the entire world spell bound?"

The questions cut across each other, becoming a tornado of deep voices and questioning tones.  The shield round Jinx guided her past the chaos of the paparazzi and into the safety of the hotel. Free from the storm, the men widened the circle, giving Jinx breathing room. The gray haired man behind the desk looked up as Jinx past. He gave a nod accompanied with a reserved smile.

"Good evening Ms. Song," he said.

Jinx turned her gaze on him, a sweet smile slipping onto her lips.

"Hello," she said, the words floating from her mouth, buoyed by soft lilting notes.

A dazed, glazed eyed expression entered the man's face and the smile widened. Before he could pull himself from his trance to move or speak, Jinx had followed her bodyguards onto the elevator. In silence, they ascended, the stone faces around her facing forward. At the top the doors parted and the group stepped off. At her door, Jinx broke from the group and unlocked it.

"Good night, gentlemen," she said, the hint of music notes wrapped around each syllable.

The stone faces softened and they stared at her with transfixed expressions. Jinx waved and slipped into the penthouse. Pale moonlight filled the spacious suite. Two story windows showcased a scene of New York city, glowing with lit up apartment buildings. A large living room took up the main section of the suite. Off to the left was a wide kitchen and dining room. Attached to the living room on the right was a full bar with bar stools.

Jinx sighed and pulled off her jacket, letting it drop to the couch as she past it.

"What do you think you are doing?" a deep, melodious voice said.

With a jerk of surprise, Jinx spun around, finding the source of the voice. Leaning against the bar counter, dressed in all black was a young man. His features were attractive, angular and ageless. His dark hair was pushed back off his broad forehead. His eyes. His eyes were a dark blue and seemed to change like the way shadows played on a dark blue of water. Jinx forced herself to remain calm and looked at the man with an innocent, helpless gaze.

"How did you get in here?" she asked, the words dancing over the whisper of music.

A smirk cut across Thorian's lips as he let out a low wry chuckle.

"Your tricks don't work on a Guardian, Jinx," he said.

Panic seized Jinx but she smothered it.