Chasing Freedom (Sci-Fi)

Harsh afternoon sunlight beat down on Brix. She sat curled up on a chair, arms wrapped her about her leg, her chin propped on her knee. Past the stone railing, that encircled the balcony, was a never ending forest. Beyond the edge of the forest the faint outline of skyscrapers touched the horizon. She blow furiously at a stray strand of short black hair. The hair fluttered, but remained dangling before her sight.

"Brix," a male voice called out.

Brix ignored the the call. She heard footsteps just inside the room behind her.

"Brix," the voice said again.

The footsteps drew closer. Brix waved a hand causing the doors to the balcony to slam shut in front of the guy's face. A second later the guy appeared in front of her. He had a tall, lanky build, sandy blonde hair, pale blue eyes and a pointed chin. Without looking at him, Brix flicked a finger, sending a stone flying towards him. The guy disappeared and reappeared a foot over. The stone sailed through the spot the guy's face had been seconds before.

"That's not funny," he said.

Brix shrugged, still not looking towards him.

"I don't know about that Rory, I found it amusing," she said.

Rory crossed his arms and leaned against the stone railing.

"Talk to me Brix," he said. "You know I did what I did to protect you."

Brix looked at him, her face hard. Brown eyes, dotted with golden flecks, glared at him from a pale, narrow face.

"Protect me?" she said, her voice cold as ice. "How could you stopping from me escaping possibly be you protecting me? Do you know what is in a month? Have you forgotten?!"

Rory dropped his gaze.

"Of course I know what's in a month. I just don't think it will be as bad as you think."

Brix scoffed, turning her attention back to the endless sea of evergreen.

"You're delusional if you think that," she said. "The Induction is worse than death."

She looked up at Rory, who met her gaze, her face revealing fear, anger, determination.

"I don't want to spend the rest of my life being a pawn for The Republic," she said. "Used like a weapon because of my abilities. Never to be my own person. Never to do as I wish. Always less than human."

"We will be useful, Brix," Rory said. "We will able to do something with what we have been given instead of locked away."

"But what if I just want to live? What if I want to know what's it's like to ride a rollercoaster? Walk on the beach or go to college? I don't want to be useful, I want to live a life. Find my parents, see if they even remember that they had a daughter."

She broke from Rory's caring blue eyes, focusing on the edge of the chair.

"Why don't we deserve to live?" she whispered. "They are so scared that we will do terrible things that they haven't ever given us a chance to be normal. Locked away only to be brought out when we can be controlled for good."

"Brix..."

She looked up, finding his eyes pleading with her.

"I can't stay here, Ror," she said. "I have to get out. Even if it kills me."

"Might I remind you that it will, or are you forgetting the little device in your neck?"

Brix absentmindedly touched the side of her neck where a star shaped scar lay.