A Vagabond's Tale (Fantasy) (COMPLETED)

Twigs snapped beneath Gigi's bare feet as she hurried through a cluster of trees. Sunlight flickered in and out, as leaves fluttered. In the distance the faint strains of a fiddle drifted through the air. Coarse dirt gave way to uneven sand as she stepped onto a secluded beach. A warm summer breeze tumbled through the air and brushed passed her, pulling at her loose black curls and skirt. The salty tang of the ocean floated towards her. The sun's rays touched the edge of the world, trailing it's robe of soft peaches, oranges and pinks.

Gigi moved to the water's edge, the folds of her skirt clenched in her hand. Waves crashed against damp sand and raced up to engulf her feet. The undulating water before Gigi melted from her mind, as she conjured up images of grand ballrooms, lavish grounds, richly dressed lords and ladies. A smile tugged at her mouth as she sat in the vision.

The images vanished as a rush of cold water splashed over her feet. A sigh escaped her lips and the world came back into focus. She dropped her gaze, curling her toes in the sand. Her gaze rose, landing on a blurry object bobbing in the water. She narrowed her eyes as she leaned forward.

Gigi's heart faltered as clarity hit her. In an instant she was fumbling with the belt around her waist. The soft leather was tossed to the sand, followed a second later by her skirt. She splashed into the sea and dived. Cold water enveloped her. She burst through the surface, her arms stretching forward, pulling her further in.

Her heart pounded in her ears. Her breath came in short bursts. Salt water danced on her tongue and tangled her hair. Her arms ached, her legs beating against the ocean's current. Slowly the object took form before her. A plank of wood, an arm and half an upper torso.

Gigi pushed on, water dashing itself against her face. She let out a exhausted gasp as she curled her fingers around the waterlogged wood. Her lungs burned and the cold leeched her energy. The figure was a young man, black hair obscuring his face, his body soaked through.

Gigi shifted the plank. She wiped away the young man's hair, revealing refined features. She placed one hand on his chest but couldn't feel the thrum of a heart beat. Water lapped at the wood, splashing over, leaving one more coating over his body. Gigi eyed the sky warily, the last trails of the sun slipping beyond the horizon.

She turned back towards the shore and started kicking, one hand clamped on the wood. The tide carried her, buoying the plank behind her. Waves crested over her, trying to pull her down. Her shirt clung to her, tugging at her. Her body ached with fatigue as soft sand sank beneath her feet. She kicked harder, searching for a solid footing.

When she found purchase on the ocean floor, she turned back towards the wood. She wrapped her arms around the man's torso. Her limbs shook as she pulled herself and the man toward the beach. Gigi groaned as the water released them and she hauled the man further up the shore.

The body dropped lifelessly as she let go. Damp sand collapsed under her knees as she stumbled to the ground. She coughed up sea water, her body shaking with the effort. She took in deep gulps of air, as her gaze moved to the man. Taking one more deep breath, she shifted over to him.

Pulling her curls over on shoulder, she lowered her head to his chest and closed her eyes. Waves crashed around her, seagulls squabbled above. A smile touched Gigi's lips as she heard the faint drumming of his heart.

"Stars above you're alive. That in itself, is a miracle," Gigi breathed. "How did you survive?"

She looked at his handsome face, then drew back her hand and slapped him. He jerked awake with a sudden gasp, water spouting from his mouth. He rolled to the side, heaving up the contents of the ocean. His body trembled, his arms barely supporting him as his lungs emptied every drop of water. He turned to Gigi, his brown eyes meeting her dark blue, then he slumped back to the sand.