Chapter 21- And me?

Being in school at the age of 22 would normally be a pretty embarrassing thing to admit. However for a S.H.I.E.L.D academy student, this was normal for anyone wanting to advance into the S.H.I.E.L.D bases and divisions.

Although Katrina wasn't sure where she wanted to specialize in, it was clear that her grades were outstanding to work anywhere at S.H.I.E.L.D. Being a Stark definitely allowed her to have such a high intelligence especially in science arenas. Her combat and field skills were exceptionally high thanks to the training of Natasha and Clint.

On top of that, a S.H.I.E.L.D student at this age was granted a level 2 clearance access at shield HQ and were provided with an internship at the division of their choice.

To Kat's benefit, she got to work directly for Fury as his assistant. Though she had helped him in the past, she enjoyed this job a lot more because she was now legally allowed to know some top secret information. However the one thing she did hate was that she was never allowed to go on any on field missions like her boyfriend Grant.

****
Kat snapped out of her daydream and looked back at the clock. Her lunch would start at 12:30 which was in a minute. She just realized that she had totally tuned out Fury and whatever he was telling her about. "Kat you've got that right?" He asked while looking through a confidential file. Kat only pretended to nod as she watched the clock tick by.

A knock on the door was her rescue to leave on time and get lunch. Today she was particularly starved. She got up to get the door and opened it. To her surprise Grant stood there waiting. She smiled and greeted him, proceeding to let him in.

"Director." Grant greeted Fury who just stared with an almost glaring straight face.

"I was wondering if I could take Kat out to lunch today Sir." Grant looks at Kat. She blushes away. PDA is a no for her and especially in front of Fury who is not only her boss but a father figure.

"I don't know can you." Fury retorts. Kat rolls her eyes. "Oh my gosh he's so embarrassing" Kat mumbles under her breath but no one hears her.

It was clear Fury had a distaste for Grant. Ever since they started dating a year ago, Fury has discouraged her from going on with him. Kat hates this even more because she hates when everyone tries to interfere with her personal life. As it is the whole school knows about their relationship and so does S.H.I.E.L.D because her whole family is basically S.H.I.E.L.D.

Fury grunts an okay and Grant smiles taking Kat's hand. "Thank you Sir. She will be back safely by 1:30 sharp." Grant promises. He closes the door to fury's office and walks hand in hand with Kat.

"Thanks babe, I didn't know how much longer I could last in that room." He chuckles at her complaint.

"Kat I really do think you should try and ask him if you can do a simple field mission. Or talk to the professors, maybe they'll let you switch." He suggests as he takes her enclosed hand and kisses the back of her palm.

Her smile turns into a quick frown. "I can't do that to Fury though, if I switched off his service he'd never forgive me. Anddddd on top of that I'm pretty sure he wouldn't allow the switch if it involved any fighting because heaven forbid I get a small scratch." Kat exaggerates her words.

"Well he's just trying to be a dad I guess." Grant chuckles. "Anyways why don't we get your favorite pizza from across the street and have a little lunch date to take your mind off of work." He makes big pouty eyes at Kat which he knows she can't resist. She groans and gives in.

Quickly pecking his lips and walking down the stairs she says," have I ever told you, you're the best boyfriend ever."

He smirks and raises a brow. "Really now? I don't think so but let me hear you say that again."  His cocky grin shows off his pearly whites.

"Oh stop you big shot." Kat shoves him away and runs off across the street to her favorite pizza place, "Ricardo's".

After having ordered 4 slices of pizza for Grant and herself, they find a spot to sit and chat. "Can you believe in a year we graduate?" She states rhetorically, the thought never having crossed her mind till now.

"Yea and?" Grant asks with a mouth full of pizza.

"Well I haven't figured out what I want to actually do. Well I want to find my brother first, but I need Fury to listen to me. But knowing him he'd tell me I can't because I'd cause a major problem." She rambles on. Grant puts a hand on hers to calm her down.

"Right. Thanks."

"But do you know what you want to do yet, I mean like specifically in your combat field?" She asks curiously, taking another bite full of her pizza.

"Well I have considered asking Agent Hill if I can work in her division."

"Well babe I can put in a good word for you. That is if you don't suck at fighting." She winks at him. He scoffs and rolls his eyes. On numerous accounts they've battled each other and he may or may have not let Kat win a couple times just to gain the satisfaction of her pride.

Kat ponders for a moment and then stares back at Grant. "Wait but Maria said she's switching to foreign field missions..." Kat began to lead and looked questionably at Grant.

"Yea I know..."  Grant avoids eye contact with Kat as he wipes the grease off his finger and takes a sip of water.

"Babe that job is incredibly dangerous and you'd never get to live here. Maria says there planning on working somewhere in Central Asia.

"I know. You can come with me if you want." He says with an obvious tone.

"Well babe did you ever plan on telling me about this before? Did you maybe ever think about what what we'd have to do in order for you to live like that?" She doesn't normally tend to worry about her relationship but realizing that Ward wasn't telling her his dreams for his job was just shocking and overwhelming for her.

"Well I thought if the time comes to it then I'd ask you to come and leave with me." He says so simply. This time begins to piss Kat off.

"Like what you can't just expect me to pack up and go from here. This is my where my family is and I probably want to work here at HQ."

"Kat you'll get over it. Plus we'll get to travel the world just like you've always wanted to."

"But that's long term. I like where I am now and how we are now babe. You haven't even trained enough to know if you like overseas missions."

"Kat this is a once in a lifetime opportunity." He urges her. Trying to avoid a fight in public he whispers his comment.

"So is my job. You're making it seem like your job is more important than mine."

"Because it is!" He yells and stands up from his chair suddenly. A few people in the pizzeria look over to the couple and share odd glances at them. Grant huffs out in anger and flares at Kat.

" I think we probably need to calm down." Kat barely whispers and she reaches for his hand.

Grant flinches away and clears his throat. "Yea you're right...I'm- I'll see you later." He says quickly before rushing out.

Kat kept up a strong face but deep inside she was so hurt. Grant had always been supportive of her and her goals. But at this moment it was like the truth came out. Had he really thought her job was less important or relevant?

The rest of the day Kat was in a bliss of confusion. What could be so great about field work compared to her regular job. From what Fury told her it was too dangerous and risky. Not that she didn't enjoy that but her whole life revolves around Fury's orders. That's why she answered Grant the way she did at the pizzeria.

She decided that the only was to understand from Grants point of view was to put herself on an operative mission. She was going to sneak into a field operative mission tonight.

Filler chapter IK and sorry that I'm not consistent but I'm trying and I do have other chapters ready it's just that I need to have a connection and explanation between the somehow so do expect some filler chapters coming your way. As always I love you guys and your constantly support. - Elle