Chapter 24 - Change of Plans

"The paths you have chosen reflect your life choices, your commitment and dedication. I am proud to be standing in the midst of each and every single one of you to tell you how appreciative I am of your achievement in these past few years, I hope as many of our teachers and agents do, that you will find S.H.I.E.L.D to be like a second home to you, to reveal your true colors and most importantly, make your country proud." Director Fury's voice bounced off the walls like pure gold, he had that effect on everyone so that you'd just have to listen to him. Everyone except Katrina, the only one brave enough to cause trouble in front of everyone.

The ceremony had been going for about 50 minutes and Katrina had already given her Valedictorian speech. but Katrina was already getting impatient and wanted this to get over with. Patience wasn't one of her biggest traits, it sort of ran in the family. The 23 year old was very much like her father and brother.

"Hey stop kicking me!" Jemma whisper shouted at Kat who was sitting right next to her. "Sorry anxiety" she lied. Her best friend was never the person to fall for a lie although at times she could be gentle and easily fooled she would never let a lie trick her.

"Oh really anxiety" Cornelia scoffed and turned from the row in front of her. Kat bit her tongue from cursing at Corneilia or telling her to mind her own damn business, but then again this was her last day with her, what were the chances of working in the same office with her anyways?

She ignored her and turned to Fitz who was slouched in his seat, he was gazing off into space, probably not paying any attention to Director Fury's speech, and was sweating like crazy, big audiences weren't his thing either.

"Hey Fitz, Fury called your name" He snapped out of his little moment and sat up straight looking around, his chair fell to the ground. Her and Jemma burst into a fit of laughter causing everyone to stare with daggers at them.

"Sorry" she mumbled and people brought there attention back to Director Fury who was clearly pissed off at the current situation.

"Anyways as I was saying before I was ever so rudely interrupted....." He gave a cold glare to Kat who could only smirk at him. Phil stood on the stage next to him silently shaking his head in disapproval but secretly she knew he was laughing on the inside.

"I will be announcing the name of our honor role students.....and please do remember that even if you aren't  mentioned in this list, it doesn't mean you're not a valued student."

"Please welcome up the following students. Jemma Simmons, Leo Fitz, Bobbi Morse, Sharon Carter........." The list went on for ages. The girls screamed as both Jemma and Fitz's names were called. They all walked onto the stage to recieve their awards. Katrina was a bit surprised that she didn't make it into the honor roles, it didn't make any sense anyways. but at least she was graduating, she told herself. Minute by minute passed by and the amount of guest speakers never seemed to end. It was evident that not many people were paying attention. Finally near the end of the ceremony Fury came back onto the stage with Phil to announce one last thing.

"I am pleasured to announce that our top student has beat the average test score by .8 percent And receiving a 97% rank for all tests including field work, narcotics, dark sciences, and forensic sciences. So please welcome Katrina Maria Stark" She gaged and looked around, hoping there was another Katrina Stark out there. But there wasn't. The whole gymnasium erupted with applauses and hollering.

"Way to go Kat" The two British voices brust her thoughts as they hugged her tightly. "Guys can't breathe" she managed to gasp out. The let go of her and she stood up before smirking and leaning down to Cornelia. "It's only because you're Fury's favourite" She whispered. Kat wanted to start a fight right there but she'd probably lose the opportunity of getting a job. "Better luck next time" she whispered back before whipping her hair and walking onto the stage. She took the diploma from Fury's hand. He reached out to give her a hand shake but instead she hugged him so tightly and felt the tears rushing down her eyes, she pressed her lips together to stop the sobs. Fury patted her head softly and said in a voice only loud enough for her and Coulson to hear, "your family would be so proud of you, to see you up on this stage." She let the tears trickle down her cheek. "Thank you Nick" she had gotten used to calling him that name when she wasn't on duty or at the academy. She released from the hug and nodded at Fury before walking to Phil who was smiling broadly.