Chapter 17- You forgot

December 17, my birthday. But to be more specific, I'm talking about my 6th birthday. December 17 1991.

Just like any other birthday in those past six years I never had my parents home to celebrate with me, nor did they value the importance of a child's birthday.

Tony however did, and I remember him bringing that cake in for me, singing happy birthday, pretending to forget my age and getting me a pink bike. It was memories like that, which made me want to forget them. I wanted to forget them because soon I knew they'd come to an end, the same end would replay in my head a million times.

Only now a new memory that I hid long ago began to fill it the blanks of those other memories. Tony's voice talking in my head, taking me back to where I was years ago, "I know it's hard and you're so young but please, whatever you do don't get your hopes up. Mom and dad will promise all they want but they're married to their jobs and with this baby they couldn't possibly have the time for us."

That sentence always sounded a lot more different in my memories. But the more I went over it just now, the more I realized what I missed. "-with this baby, they couldn't possibly have the time for us." The baby.

My eyes opened abruptly in horror as all this time I realized I held all this anger for my parents for not being there for my birthday and for me still holding a grudge that I didn't spend enough time with them before they died that I completely erased a memory out of my life. Knowing Tony, he most likely did the same.

I had living proof of a memory standing in front of me, smiling at me cunningly. There were a lot of emotions I held from just staring at her, confusion, anger, selfishness, hate, guilt, the list could go on. But the one thought that wouldn't leave was the fact that the file I was given said my sister had been tested on at a young age which resulted in her strength, I could only feel guilt for my selfishness on the day S.H.I.E.L.D came and rescued me and I was too stupid to remember I had a sister.

"I- I don't even know what to say. " there were tears in my eyes. I was trying so hard to not show my weakness to my enemies.

"Well it seems like you remember enough, and I didn't even have to explain myself for the whole sister part" my sister said.

My mouth was dry, I didn't even want to talk.
"I'm so sorry, I can't imagine what you've been through." I tried to apologize.

"I know you have a lot of questions and things to say but I think it's best if I explain." She said simply.

"Can I at least ask what your name is?"

"It's Hayley, Hayley Stark." She paused and smiled for a brief moment.

"But I will start by saying it's not your fault, you're probably feeling guilty about forgetting me which is fine" she was being awfully nice about this for someone who missed out on 15 years of their life. "- because I wouldn't be the person I am today without the help of mom and dad as well as S.H.I.E.L.D ." She smiled at me.

My brows knit together in confusion. "What do you mean mom and dad... they weren't in your life for that long."

"Yes but they left me to live a great life. Why do you think I was barely home as a child. Did you seriously think mom and dad were always at the hospital? They literally did dedicate their life to science, more specifically my life. Dad was the only one alive who was present for Captain americas "rebirth" and so he got curious and experimented on me to see if it would work. There were some setbacks of course but finally when dad wasn't available to help, Hydra continued to experiment and I'm better than before." She said proudly, but with a very dull tone. I was in shock that my dad was a monster who tested on a child.