Chapter 14- Madness

"Are you insane" Nat barged into the viewing room where Fury was in and shoved him. He ever so calmly ignored her shove and spoke lightly. "Mrs. Romanoff, whatever you think you know or are assuming, I'd suggest you drop it."

"No you drop it! Don't you dare play dumb with me . I'm an assassin for crying out loud, I know when somethings up."

At that same moment Clint walked in. "Nat what are you doing here? I've been looking for you for hours" he then took notice of how close Nat stood to Fury and gave them both a questioning look.

"Well did you ever stop and wonder who else has been missing for hours?" Nat huffed in an annoyed voice .

It took him a couple of seconds to think about it. "Kat... Where is she?" He looked terrified.

Fury paused for a moment. As if hesitating to say when suddenly an voice from his walkie talkie interrupted.

"Sir it's ready. Katrina has already been given anesthesia to keep her out during the process, on your command we will start." The voice was easily recognizable as Phil Coulson.

"Why is she on anesthesia, director?" Clint asked calmly.

"Before the both of you decide to get all defensive let me just remind you that I am director here and I make the decisions." Furys voice echoed through the wall.

"And then let us also remind you that we work for you, meaning we have a right to know and either way Katrina is our friend." Nat justified.

Fury looked unconvinced for a few moments till he gave in to their arguing.

"Her powers were a threat. The both of you know that. It doesn't take a genius to know how unpredictable they can be.  And all the training in the world isn't going to help Katrina overcome every situation. So I'm doing what's better for her. Putting her out of this misery and terminating her powers as well as her memory of ever obtaining them."

"You're not..." Nat glared at him.

"No I'm not killing her. At least I'm sure this won't kill her. If Tahiti didn't kill her the first time, it won't kill her again." Fury clarified.

"But director how are you sure this will work?"

"Don't question me Barton. All I know is that they're gonna do the exact same thing they did to her last time, so it takes away. But this time it's going to stay off the records. For everyone's safety." Fury reasoned angrily.

"And does Kat have a say in this Director?" Natasha shouted. "Did you even ask her?"

"Well. No. I shot her before I could explain." Natasha groaned and looked away. Fury gave a sorry look and walked out of the room.

"I didn't know anything about this Nat I swear." Clint defended himself.

"I know." She whispered quietly. "But how can we continue with our lives, I mean act as if she wasn't a part of it for what? Months?"

"I don't know Nat. Let's just hope everything goes well for now."

****** in the lab ******

"Are you sure this is the right thing for her?" Agent Hill drew near to the director as he stood watch over the lab conducting on the unconscious Katrina Stark.

"That seems to be the question of the day." He uttered to himself.

"I'm just trying to protect her. As lousy of an excuse this is, I think she'll come to understand why soon enough." Maria nodded her head in understanding and peered over the glass window to inspect the scientist below.

They nodded up at her. "Director it's complete." He glanced down at his watch and then swiftly began walking towards the staircase.

"Sir everything seems to be in order. The girl is stirring but if you wish, we may dose her with another --- so we have enough time to switch her to her room." Director Fury agreed. If he needed his plan to work. Everything would have to go according to how Katrina was before Hydra experimented on her.

"Initiate protocol Resurrection." Director fury spoke into his walkie and left with agent hill on his side.

Leaving the soundless little Katrina to wake up in a mere few hours to her regular self.

**2 months later**

Dear diary,

Merry Christmas. This is kind of lame I'll admit. The whole writing down my thoughts doesn't really work so well, nor is it as normal as when it's shown in tv. I figure this should be good for me though.

I don't know why but these past two months after I woke up in the hospital room from supposedly "passing out" my life has felt almost incomplete. And I know that sounds normal coming from someone who doesn't go to school or socialize with anyone except in this building itself, but I feel like even the people I'm closest to have changed. They all seem secure and hesitant to speak at so many times and it bothers me.

I miss Tony, I know he's out there somewhere, probably becoming famous like he dreamt of . I wonder if he knows I'm alive. Probably not or he would've come to find me. Right?

I apparently doubt myself too much, according to Phil. But I can't help but feel this afraid and alone especially when I'm still discovering things about myself and the people surrounded by me each day.

Maybe I just don't belong here. I'm so different from everyone here. I could be in school now, having friends and going to parties. Or spending time with my family for Christmas dinner.... Never mind.

On that note Kat paused and ripped out the page from her diary. She glared at it, tears threatening to spill from her eyes. She crumbled up the paper in her palms and threw it into the fire.

The flickering flame giving her satisfaction as the ink began to slowly burn away with the paper. And so did her troubles.