Chapter 5- Sorry doesn't cut it

Nick's POV:

"Get a med team now!" I yelled out and grabbed Katrina's face constantly tapping it and calmly saying "Kat stay with me don't close your eyes please" I begged her. Coulson would be furious, but there was someone else I know would be much more angrier with this and I would have to take the blame.

A team came rushing in with a stretcher and laid her body on it. I saw her eyes faintly twitching as she stirred and i grasped her hand telling her she'd be just fine as she silently groaned in pain.  They took her out of the room leaving me standing there myself with Hill.

"Sir." I ignored her and stared glumly at the ground.

"Sir it's not your fault." She started.

"Well it wasn't hers either but look where she's wound up. Maria what have I done?"

"Peggy's on the line sir she said she'll be here in a couple of hours."

"She what?!"

"Sir she does have the rights to take care of Ms.Stark if S.H.I.E.L.D wasn't the right decision."

"I know damn well but this is a retired S.H.I.E.L.D agent we're talking about. She's constantly on the run even when she has family, we can't leave Katrina in her hands."

"Well sir that is if she survives."

"What?"

"The bullet wound, it's blocking off the blood flow and the only way to get it out is... Well it's impossible."

I stared at her in horror. I couldn't let this happen. One of the greatest man alive entrusted Katrina's safety with S.H.I.E.L.D and as director I made a promise to follow just that.

"Sir?" Maria asked noticing the long pause I took.

"Maria get the doctors out of the room, call The Council. There is a way to save her." I clenched my fists and walked out with Maria contacting everyone to follow the orders.

Just as we made it to the elevator a hand stopped it and Coulson jumped in with a furious look.

"What the hell happened?!" My jaw clenched as I tried to think of how to convince the council to do the heart transplant.

"Don't you dare talk to your director with that attitude" I snapped making Coulson lower his head. I sighed and placed my arm on his shoulder.

"Look agent I'm sorry I had no idea but I'm going to do everything in my ability to keep her alive I swear on my life." He regained his posture and smiled warmly.

The elevator opened to a room flooding with agents. The team soon recreated the unneeded ones to another floor as I opened the secure room with the padlock and shut t behind me. The room was dark and aery as always. The screens soon lit up with the simple wave of my hand over the control panel.

"Councilmen and women" I greeted them. They nodded.

"I'm afraid there's an urgent matter."

"Yes we're aware Mr.Starks daughter, word goes around fast. So how do you plan on fixing it?" The representative from Russia asked. Russians and Americans weren't exactly on good terms at the moment but we had a few insiders that I was glad could help us.

"A heart transplant. The machine was created by an alumni in Howard Starks lab, I believe it would work." I answered.

"And the possibilities of it not?"

"No it's too risky." Interrupted the China representative.

"With all due respect-"

"Yes we know this is Howard Starks daughter. We may have another option."

"And what may that be sir?" I asked.

"A project called T.A.H.I.T.I I'm sure Mr. Pierce has enlightened you on that information?" Tahiti? That sounded so familiar why.

"The risks are higher sir!" I boomed suddenly realizing what Tahiti was.

"No excuses we are using it on her anyways. And contact Mrs. Carter and tell her everything is being handled." And with that the screen darkened leaving me in the pitch black room. I let out a shaky breath and exited. I couldn't do this to her. Not someone so innocent. Someone with so much potential.