Chapter 18- Inseperable

These past couple of days have been great. Hayley, my new best friend and long lost sister is with me wherever I go.

We train together, eat and do the same things together. We are literally inseparable and I'm beginning to see how annoyed Phil is. Normally Phil is okay with my friends, in fact he encourages me to have friends and bent the rules with fury to allow me to invite friends over. But ever since Hayley arrived, something has been off about Phil, I've been meaning to ask him for a while.

Right now me and Hayley are learning about Norse Mythology from Dr Erik Selvig, a very friendly science professor. Obviously I'm not paying as much attention as I should be. All I can think of is the stuff I want to do with my sister to catch up on each-other's lives.

After class was over we walked down the halls of the HQ. We now had the rest of the day off because everyone else was on an important mission.

"So I was thinking maybe we could-" I am cut off by Hailey who begins her sentence.

"Kat I'm really sorry but I don't think I'm feeling well, will you let me use the bathroom first?" She interferes.
"Sorry sure, let me come with you."
"No really it's fine, I'll be 2 minutes." She quickly says before rushing off.

I begin to walk around the foyer of HQ as I wait for Hayley. Hopefully she doesn't take too long. I notice Phil pacing down the corridor. I run up to him taking my opportunity to finally talk to him. "Hey Phil." He quickly looks up and smiles as he notices me. He placed his hand around my shoulder and we walk together. "Hey Kat hows it been?" I smile at him. "Where's Hayley, isn't she supposed to be with you?" He asks. I roll my eyes. "She's using the washroom."
"I really don't think she should be wandering the halls-" he argues.
"Relax Phil, she's not going to get lost."
"Trust me Kat that's not what I'm worried about." I pause and stare at him wide eyed.
"Oh no please tell me you trust her at least." He quickly looks away.
"Cmon Phil you know she was brainwashed by Hydra, none of this was her fault." He leads me to the corner of the room. Part of me felt guilty for lying earlier about how I "found" her at the Hydra base, but I knew I was doing it to protect Hayley.
"But Kat we don't know for sure if she still isn't being brainwashed." I didn't want to hear him talking about my sister like this. "Kat just hear me out, I know she's you're family and you're finally getting to meet her but all I'm saying is that you shouldn't warm up to her too much, we don't know anything about her." I knew he was somewhat right but he was also wrong to judge.

"Kat take this tracker." He handed me a pen like object. "If you are ever in trouble push down on the top button, it will alert S.H.I.E.L.D and the tracker will be activated. It will also record any conversation if you twist the top."
"Phil why are you giving this to me?" Not only am I annoyed but I'm confused. "Just in case." Is all he says before walking off quickly. I was about to call his name when I hear Hayley behind me. "Was that Phil?" She asks. "Yea He was just reminding me we have the day off." I lie and smile and Hayley. Something looked off about her as she stared at me, not believing my answer. I ignored her look and lead her to the cafeteria.

********** later that day***********
"And here is where I train."
"Why do they train you?" Hayley asks me while walking behind me.
"Oh um well I've never really thought about that. I think it's mostly to protect myself in case of an emergency. Or if Hydra tries to take me again."
"Again?"
"It's a long story trust me, I was really young but apparently they experimented on me. It never worked anyways." She looked puzzled at first but then nodded.

We walked in silence around the halls until she saw a room with a blue light shining underneath the door. "What's this room?" She asked me.
"Oh that room is off limits. It's the artificial intelligence generators and the IT area. I'm pretty sure it's only accessible for clearance 7." I said while walking away.

I thought Hayley way following behind me but to my surprise she was standing in front of the IT room. "Cmon Hayley I'll show you the courtyard." I say hoping she would come.

"Have you ever looked inside this room? She asks with curiosity as she inspects the electronic number lock on the door.
"No. Nick says I'm not allowed." I simply told her. Now I was beginning to get worried. If any agent passed by they'd definitely think we were trying to break in. Last thing I needed was getting in trouble for bringing in Hayley.
"Haven't you ever wondered what's inside?" She asked. I quickly turn around me, looking just Incase someone comes in this hallway. "Ummm y-yea I guess you could say that. But honestly it doesn't matter. It's not like I'd understand it anyways." I tell her.

"Great. So we'll quickly check it out." My eyes widened. Did she not listen to a word I just said?

"Don't be a sis, it's not like anything is gonna hurt us in there. I just wanna check it out. That's all I swear." She puts her hands up in defense and chuckles. "Ha lighten up Kat." She quickly punches my arm.

"Okay so how do you plan on getting in?" I snort at her crazy idea. "There's a number lock dummy." I point out to her. She just smirks at me.

She reaches her arm out to the door handle. She lets her fingers graze over the number pad and then she placed her finger pads on top of the screen. My eyes widen as I see an electric current flow from her fingertips to the screen . In one second I hear a small pop noise. I look up and the door is slightly ajar. Hayley smirks and leads me in. I almost forgot she had powers. I'm almost sure I'd get in trouble for this too...

Inside the room is empty of course because it is lunch time. The room is dark with the blue glow of the monitors reflecting off the walls. Over on the sides of the room are long shelf looking boxes. Inside were these glowing little squares . The shelf was labeled as 'Data center". I saw Hayley's hand reaching out to touch it when I stopped her. "Hayley what do you think you're doing?" I whisper to her. Before she can reply, we hear a click at the door. Someone's coming.

The man shuffles through the room and even steps in front of us. I swear he stared directly through me as if I wasn't in front of him. He looks around before picking up his lunchbox and exiting the room. I sigh a breath of relief and feel a literal wall fall down around me. This time it's Hayley who's staring at me with wide eyes. "How did you do that?" She asks in amazement. "Do what?" I laugh.
"Did you not just see what you did? You literally made the both of us invisible. Kat I think you do have powers." I laugh at her for a second and then stare. "No you're joking. Like cmon the room is so dark he probably didn't even notice us anyways." I defend. She looks like she wants to argue but she just drops the conversation.

We prepare to leave this room. I notice her checking out one more thing at the back of the room but I'm too paranoid to follow her, thinking that someone may come into the room again. When she comes back she smiles and leads the way out the door.

*****third person*****

As Kat left the room with Hayley, her head began to swirl. It literally hurt to think but she decided to ignore the pain. She wanted to spend every moment she could get with Hayley.

Hayley however did not feel the same. She wanted to go home as soon as possible and report to her master what she had recently found out about S.H.I.E.L.D and all their dirty secrets.