Chapter Eight; Secrets Unveiled

"You promised, Hayden." Alana whined, trying to snatch the remote controller from him.

He drawled back, virtually swerving his car on Grand Theft Auto V. He momentarily attempted proper civilization on the game, but quickly grew impatient, hopped out of his own beaten vehicle and stole someone else's, quickly running the light once he'd done that.

"I'm too bad for you." He said, winking at her. "You can play later, babygirl."

Alana reached back and grabbed a pillow, swinging it so that it slapped him right in the face. His eyes widened as he turned to stare at an angry Alana. She crossed her arms stubbornly, just as he dropped the remote and scooped her into his arms, then slammed her back onto the couch falling atop her.

"Why you being like that, Lana?" He raised a brow, locking her hands above her head while she squirmed under him.

"I wasn't talking about the game." Alana fought her smiles, wiggling underneath Hayden's body. From where she was laying, she got a clear view of the tattoos covering his arms. Some were bible scriptures, stars, crosses... names of the people he'd lost. "You never finished telling me about... your mother."

He drawled back, taking his seat again, frowning as she sat up and brought her knees to her chest. Instead of swallowing, she shut her eyes momentarily. When she opened them again, he was watching her closely, his face displaying a whirl of emotion.

Crystal suddenly came in with two bowls of cake and ice cream in her hands. She sat them down on the table in front of the two and then watched them watch each other.

"What's going on?" She asked.

Alana looked up at her, but she could feel Hayden's slanted eyes still watching her.

"I-"

"She wants to know about my mother." Hayden cut her off.

Crystal's face ran over with shock, and slight realization. "Well, I suppose... if you're ready to talk about it, Hayden..." she paused before giving him a reassuring smile. "I'll leave. When you're done, I need to see you Alana."

Alana nodded, then watched as she left. When Crystal disappeared back into the kitchen she looked down at the bowl of ice cream and cake Crystal had brought in, anywhere but at him. From the corner of her eyes she saw him reach for his bowl and stand up.

"Do you trust me?" She asked, staring down at her own bowl. Chocolate cake and fudge ice cream. She would have a taste for it, if it were not for the nervousness creeping up inside her, threatening to make her scream. She hadn't completely grown numb to being around Hayden as it had only been three days since he told her that he was attracted to her. He wasn't forward with her but he didn't exactly push her away either. He almost treated her just as he treated Elaine, minus the frustration and obvious annoyance.

"Walk with me." He held a hand out to her.

Why couldn't he answer her question?

Standing up, she pushed his hand away, pressing past him, making him fall back down onto the couch. He watched her sashay to the front door and then turn to him, placing a hand on her hip, impatiently waiting.

He smirked and lowered his head, then casually played with the cake and ice cream he held before placing the spoon of ice cream in his mouth and raising a brow at her.

"I mean--what? I don't have all day to play games with you, Hayden. Can you just come on?" A sudden confidence permitted her to talk the way she did, to him. Perhaps she was pressing it a bit with the extra attitude, but she didn't shy away this time.