☆ 𝟙𝟘 : the dark side of ambition

ten the dark side of ambition

🧣

THEY DECIDED TO play a little game. It was amusing to them because it was slightly confusing to everyone else. They never pretended that they weren't in a relationship, they simply acted as if what they were doing was normal for two best friends who just so happened to have been that close for nearly seven years.

It started off with the little things: calling each other love and darling, making side-remarks to each other that turned into inside jokes, laying in each other's laps during the lazy nights in the common room. Their library dates continued, as did the trips to Hogsmeade and excessive arm-touching, but no one seemed any the wiser as the days and weeks went by.

The first questions aroused by the end of February when James and Lily returned from their prefect rounds one night to find [y/n] and Remus sharing the comfy armchair in the corner closest to the fireplace. The two were reading the same book – The Plague Dogs – with [y/n] curled up in Remus' lap, the latter holding and turning the pages as the story played out through the words in front of them.

'You two comfy there?' James had asked after announcing his presence with a cough.

'Yes,' [y/n] replied with a smile, completely unfazed. 'Do we not look it?'

'No, no,' James stuttered, 'you, uh ... You look very comfy.'

'We are,' Remus replied in the same tone as [y/n].

By the beginning of spring, the couple couldn't have made it more obvious that they were an item. The only thing that motivated them to keep the game going was the utter fluster of confusion that James, Peter and Sirius often found themselves in, particularly after the Ravenclaw versus Gryffindor match on the second weekend of March.

'WE WON!' [y/n] yelled, dismounting her broom and sprinting across the pitch to meet her team mates. 'WE WON, PRONGS, WE WON!'