Chapter 18

Rhys

I stared at Feyre for a few moments longer, the flow of earth-shattering relief still pulsing through me.

By the Mother, I had almost lost her. Remnants of fear sparked once more at the thought, but I rid them from my mind, still holding my mate's face in my hand as my finger traced down her jaw.

"How are you," I whispered, and she gave me a breath-taking smile that sparked one of my own as she gave me reassurance that she was fine.

Honestly, she was my ruin and light.

Feyre Curse-Breaker.

Stars Eternal.

High Lady of the Night Court.

My mate.

Oh, how the last one was my own dear personal favorite.

Feyre clears her throat after another moment, and I break out of whatever thoughts I was surrounded by. She had survived, she would survive, and we would both help and strengthen each other no matter what.

"Where are the other Illyrian babies?" she murmured, and I gazed on her, amusement shining in her eyes.

"I suppose they must have realized my absence by now, they should be here soon."

And as if summoned immediately by my words, the door to the increasingly much too small townhouse banged open, a large thud echoing throughout the house.

Well, at least the bastard had not tried sneaking up on us, though I severely doubted they would be able to.

"Rhys," Cassian bellowed from downstairs and a groan slipped from me.

Feyre now looked at me with laughter gleaming in her eyes, and a slight chuckle escaped from her as I rolled my eyes. 

"And what is exactly so funny my dear Feyre?" I raised a brow at her, and she just shook her head.

"You've been dealing with them for centuries, and yet you still cannot handle any of us."

"That," I sighed, a deep, long-suffering sigh, "is precisely why I cannot handle all of you, with dealing with everyone for centuries, it gets awfully tiring.

A quirk of a smile. "I bet, Rhys."

"Where are you?" Came out loudly from below, and I glared at Feyre as she held in a laugh again with a large smile.

"One day, just one day I ask where I can be alone," I muttered under my breath as I opened up the door, ready to stalk out to where my commander of my armies now unfortunately was.

I turned around as I saw my mate following me out of our bedroom, and glanced in her eyes. "Stay in here, you need to rest since you had just awaken after...after what had happened."

What I did not stop, is what I did not need to add, even as shame wormed its way through me and apology gleamed in my eyes.

I should have never let that happen. I should have killed the Attor, but the surprise, the shock, flooded through me, more than it should have.

It looked so much like its brother, who had stood by Amarantha's side all those months, seemingly a lifetime, ago. Who had attacked Velaris, who my mate had killed brutally on her side of the Sidra, as she became the Defender of the Rainbow.

I supposed that revenge would always lurk around someone, and then hit them when they least expect or are prepared for it.

My mate caught the look in my eyes, and she shook her head, as if dismissing any bad ideas I had in my mind.