Chapter 8

I took a deep breath as Rhys gazed at me. "Nothing" I gritted my teeth at the word, at the awful lie. "Nothing is wrong."

Rhys looked down and then glanced at me pain coloring his eyes. And it hurt, every spark of pain in his eyes felt like a blow to my heart. I wanted to tell him, needed to tell him the truth, but I still hesitated. I didn't know if I could handle any reaction other than the one I hoped for.

I looked away from his gaze. He stalked towards me, and with a single finger he turned my face towards him and lifted my chin with the tip of his finger.

"Feyre, talk to me. Tell me what's wrong, and how can I help, please."

The way his voice broke on the word please, my heart fractured into a million pieces.

A tear slipped from my me, and then another, until I was crying and I leaned towards him. His arms wrapped around me and he held me as a let out a quiet sob.

"Let me help you Feyre, whatever you're going through we can go through together" he rasped out.

I pulled back and put my head in my hands. "I-I want to tell you, but I just- I just can't."

"Why, there's nothing wrong with sharing your burdens Feyre. I can't handle the thought of you suffering without me at least trying to ease your pain. There's nothing I wouldn't do for you, you are my mate, my High Lady. I would do anything for you. So why can't you tell me so we can figure this out together."

With every word my heart broke, not from my pain, but from seeing the worry and emotion on his face.

I swallowed, once, twice. Hugging myself, I laid my head on my knees. "I can't tell you because I don't know how you will react. I don't know if I could handle your reaction."

"To what! What is going on! What is so bad that you can't tell me?"

I lifted my head and looked at him again. And just like with Mor, my resolve crumbled and I let the truth out as I stared at his face.

"I'm pregnant Rhys."

He froze, he completely and utterly froze. My heart lurched and I stood up and took a step to him.

"Rhys?" I called out tentitavely. His eyes, were frozen on my stomach, as if he could see inside of me.

He slowly sank to his knees, and I sank to the ground with him. "Rhys?" I called out again.

His violet eyes rose to meet my blue ones. "We are really going to have a child?" he asked me, his voice hoarse.

I nodded, frightened to see if he would yell at me for being careless for not taking tonic, or turn away, not wanting the burden of a pregnant mate or a child right now. 

Tears were running down his face as the brightest smile I've ever seen claimed his face. And I realized that his tears were ones of joy. He took me into his arms, holding me tightly. I held on to him, crying into his shoulder.

He pulled back, and I saw the smile still on his face, full of pure love.

He kissed away my tears, and then kissed me. I opened my mouth to him, but he wasn't giving me a kiss of hunger or wildness. It was a gentle kiss full of love, full of love for me and the future that was slowly forming in my stomach.

After what felt like an hour I slowly stirred in his arms, my heart warming as I saw that beautiful smile still on his face.

 I leaned back and rose up onto my legs. "Sleep, we should sleep."

He nodded but curled up next to me beneath the covers. Our legs were entwined and my back rested on his chest.

He wrapped his arms around me, one laid on my waist and held me close to him. And the other arm- the other arm lay across my stomach, as if protecting the child inside of me there. As in response to my thoughts, the hand grasped my own and squeezed.

My mate kissed my hair, and I soon fell asleep listening to his steady breathing, to his heartbeat. I drifted away into dreams of the son that we would both love and cherish as long as we lived.

Hello guys! Thanks for reading my story. Sorry this chapter was short and kind of bad, I've been having some trouble thinking of ways to write this story. Any suggestions would be awesome. Please vote, comment, and share too!