Chapter 17

My vision unfocused and refocused as I launched upwards, waking up from my deep, dark sleeping state of recovery.

My mouth felt bone-dry, my hair was disheveled, my skin pale, and my stomach empty and begging for food.

But I was awake.

I was awake.

I pressed a hand to my abdomen, letting the slight remnants of my magic search for the beautiful, unmanaged light of my son.

I held my breath and let it out in a sigh of relief as I felt the presence of my unborn child. My muscles were aching, my head was throbbing, and I still felt slightly tired, but honestly I couldn't care less.

All my thoughts were trained on was to go to my family, to reassure them of my well-being, and go find that damned Attor, the damned beast that thought that it could kill me.

My death would not have resulted in just me, but also my child's, and the High Lord of the Night Court. Sometimes I wondered if I had made the right choice, if we had made the right choice, taking the vow to connect our two deaths. But I remembered how it felt to see my mate die right before my eyes, someone I loved and cared deeply for beyond words. Rhysand must have felt the same way as well, and we were better off for it. Neither wanted our past, that horrifying feeling, to repeat once more.

I looked around the small bedroom, not the one I usually slept in, and let out a small groan as I stretched my limbs.

Slowly, I reached inside of my mind, and I tugged on our mating bond lightly. My mind was weary and still disoriented, and I waited for a response. Dismay spread across me when one did not come, and I summed it up to the fact that my little push was near non-existent.

My legs were shaking and numb as I rose and stumbled to the bathroom, and I sighed as I splashed cool water on my face. Oh by the mother I was a mess,

I looked at the small and pristine tub, and quickly undressed and went into it, relaxing as the warm water soothed my heavy muscles.

I relaxed for a while, resting in the water, and then opening my eyes.

One glance at my shoulder showed me what happened on the past days.

It had a crimson cloth over it, and after I peeled it away I cringed as I saw thick scar run through the once unmarred skin.

The mark was dark red and brutal, and I could only imagine the worry and terror my family went through while I was lost in my sleep.

Rhys.

I wanted to see him, I needed him to know that I was fine, that I was ready to go and find that ghastly beast.

Stepping out of the bath, which I had sat in for over ten minutes, I quickly dressed and dried my hair, ready to go find my mate.

A loud noise shook the house as the bedroom door banged open, and I turned around as fast as I could, wincing as I did.

I brought my hands up, putting a slight cove over my stomach and one ready to throw a blast of magic as my vision cleared.

I stood still as I saw who it was standing in the doorway.

"You're awake."

~
"Rhys." The words left me in a breath as I raced toward him, letting him capture me in his arms in a familiar embrace.

I rested my head on his chest and breathed in the scent of him, and he hugged me as tightly as he could without crushing my bones.

I felt a throbbing, world shifting pulse of relief go through the bond, and I pulled back, tiny tears gathering in my eyes.