CHAPTER FIVE PT - 2

"I don't think . . . Then you shouldn't talk!"

* * * * *

PUTTING his last crayon back in the small Crayola box, Jin sank back into the poufy couch cushion, studying his surroundings, as a daunting Sundae continued pacing from one side of the room to the other in front of him.

Jimin and his big mouth had made sure none of them could do anything now. All he had to do was color the damn rabbit!

Watching V bounded excitedly up the stairs, he began to think about the events of the past twenty-four hours. He wasn't at all surprised by his hyung's innate ability to blend into the unusual 'order' of things that seemed to rule the household they had stumbled into. He was nothing but a child in a grown-up body. If he didn't know better, he would swear V and the Whyte sisters were related.

What had the girls been talking about at the dining room window? All he had managed to catch was something about 'took care of it . . .' and 'did it fit'? Care of what? And fit where?

His curiosity getting the better of him, he cocked one leg up on the couch and turned to study the large plate glass window in the living room. Through the slightly parted curtains, he could see the white blizzard still raging outside.

Had one of them actually gone OUT in that earlier? There wasn't any sign of footprints in the snow, wet boots, jackets, hats or mittens. How in the hell were they going to get out of here? There had to be a way out.

It seemed 'locks' were the norm, but he knew enough to know all old houses had their secret hideaways, and usually a basement. Shivering at even the thought of a trip to the creepy basement of the falling down farmhouse, he still wondered if there wasn't a way out from there.

He needed a plan . . .

The second Sundae turned her back he nudged a now compliant Jimin, pointing upstairs, mouthing, 'Keep her busy'.

Then raising his hand like a schoolboy, he coughed to get her attention. "I need to use the bathroom," he announced matter-of-factly. 

Surely, she wasn't going to deny him that. His picture was already complete.

"Of course. Go on." She smiled at him accommodatingly, still tapping the ruler against her thigh as he rose. "But, hurry. The others are nearly done, and the box will be here shortly."

As his feet hit the stairs he glanced back, seeing Jimin motioning for her to look down at his abs, (his face, emotionless) in an attempt to keep her occupied.

"Sundae! How do I get these lines off?" he pleaded with her gravely. (He would get an 'Oscar' for that performance!)

Now where was V? If he could find him, alone . . . without Sumre maybe they could make a sweep of the upstairs.

* * * * *

TIPTOEING quietly across the creaky boards of the second-floor landing, Jin's heart pounded a mile a minute, assessing the hallway of doors in front of him. Four large, one small. It was like being a contestant in a game show. 

What was behind door number one, two, or three? The million dollars or the donkey?

It didn't take but a few seconds for him to hear quiet singing from the last door on the right. It sounded like a girls' voice. It had to be Sumre. But, was V with her? Not taking any chances, and figuring anything was possible with V, he opted to head up to the third floor instead and go it alone.