Eleven | Goodnight Texts

//michael//

He didn't want Lottie coming over but she actually sounded pretty upset on the phone. He still didn't know how or why her and Calum got so close already, though. It was just weird for him because Calum and Mcihael had been best friends - and only friends - with each other for the longest time and now he was sneaking around with this girl who was the exact opposite of them.

About twenty minutes later, there was a knock at the door. Michael was glad Cal got the rent paid off so they had electricity back - last thing he needed was some rich girl thinking they were some charity case. He opened the door to see her looking like a wreck. She was in some blue, cotton shorts, some thongs, and a t-shirt that was too big for her. There was black makeup running down her cheeks, and her blonde hair was still curled at the ends. Michael assumed it was a date-gone-wrong.

"Are you okay?" he blurted.

She eyed him. "D-Do you actually c-care?" she asked, wiping under her eyes, smearing the black more.

Part of him said he didn't care, but a smaller part hit him with a pang of guilt when he thought that. He sighed before leading her to the couch, not answering the question. He then wandered into the kitchen, shouting over his shoulder, "Do you want anything?"

"I-I was actually hoping m-m-maybe we could order C-Chinese." she called back, her voice cracking and breaking as she dug out her credit car and set it on the coffee table.

-

//ashton//

He pulled back into the driveway of the Blake's house. He put the car in park but kept the engine running because he assumed he was going home after Sam got her sister and the car seat out.

"Did you want to come in?" Sam wondered, meeting Ashton's eyes hesitantly. "I mean, both of my mom's are home and Derek might try to interrogate you again, but if you leave now, Molly might throw a fit."

Ashton chuckled, not putting it passed the little girl to start kicking and screaming. She already almost did when she dropped her monkey in the pharmacy. Ashton had to pick it up along with Molly and try to calm her down while Sam got her medicine.

"Yeah, I don't mind." he shrugged, turning the keys to shut off the car.

Sam smiled brightly as she opened the door. "Great. You don't have to stay for long - i-if you don't want to. Molly will probably just want you to put her to bed."

Ashton was fine with staying as long as she wanted him to. Truth be told, he didn't want to go back to his house. After their day together, he started developing somewhat of a crush on this girl that apparently couldn't be tied down. She was just such a different girl outside of school - well, detention - and he enjoyed the girl she really was. Sam was caring and loving and goofy and hurt by something - or someone. She wasn't this girl that had an I-don't-care attitude and that slept around just to go against her parents. Sam outside of that room was the exact opposite.

How could he realize this in a matter of three days? That was so short of a time span.

She led him into the open garage, Molly secure in her arms, and into the door that led to the kitchen. Sure enough, two women were standing there: one by the stove and the other sitting at the breakfast bar. Both of them looked up when they entered.

"Hi, Sam," Jules smiled. "Hi again, Ashton."

"Hello, Mrs Blake." he greeted, but then mentally slapped himself in the face. Did she go by Mrs Blake?

"I believe I'm not properly in the loop yet." Sam's mom sang.

"Mom, Ashton; Ashton, mom." Sam said shortly.