Nine | Duet

//michael//

Taking the bus was something he both hated but also found interesting. He hated the annoying kids and the angry old people and the couples trying to silently fuck each other in the back, but there were people that got on with brightly colored hair and piercings and instruments and big coats and he wondered what their stories were. They just looked like interesting people that at least had one good tale to tell.

He got off at the usual stop in front of the mall and walked inside, stuffing his hands in his front pockets. He went up the escalator to the second floor and weaved through the people until he reached the record shop that he worked at. He liked the place and the people, just not the pay. Not to mention he always got shitty hours and sometimes not enough hours. They'd over-hired and never fired the extra workers.

He found a purple and pink head of hair working the counter and he smirked, recognizing her as Tammy. She was one of his favorite people to work with. She looked up as she gave the bald man on the opposite side of the counter his change, seeing Michael behind the man and giving a smile and a nod. Her silver nose ring shone under the dim lighting, as well as her double monroes that she had studded into her face.

"Hey, Mikey." she greeted him, walking out from behind the counter as the bald guy left.

"Hey," he sighed. "How's the crowd today?"

"Eh," she shrugged. "We've been busier, but at least we're not swamped. I looked at the schedule and it's supposed to be just you and me today anyway."

"Sweet." he smiled as she took her place behind the counter again. Michael went to the back to punch in before returning to the front and organizing the CDs over there.

"How's Calum?" Tammy quizzed, tapping the eyebrow ring she had in.

"He's off with some Barbie doll girl that we met in detention." Michael said in a bored tone.

"She cute?"

"Not my type, though. She's rich and fancy and nice-looking, and I'm a poor and dirty fucker."

"She got a boyfriend?"

"Hell if I know," he shrugged, stopping to look up into Tammy's silver eyes - she always wore different colored contacts. "Why?"

"Haven't you seen Stevie and her boyfriend?" she quizzed, referencing to the short red-haired girl that worked there. "She's all cute with her short, tight dresses and heeled ankle boots, and he's ripped jeans and singlets and bright blue hair."

"She still has like, piercings and tattoos and stuff," he reminded her. "And her hair is dyed blood red. She still looks sort of punk-ish to match him. This girl is pastel sundresses and pink cars."

"She has a pink car?" Tammy stifled a laugh.

"It's a pretty sick car, though," he noted before shaking his head and squinting at his co-worker as he stretched his legs out to stand. "What are you getting at here?"

"You haven't had a serious girlfriend in who knows how long. I know you're going to want to have a long lasting relationship soon. And you know what they say: opposites attract, Mike." she winked.

Michael scoffed. "Me? With a girl like her? Yeah, alright, Tammy. Maybe it's time for your break."

Tammy just huffed, walking aroung the counter. "You gotta get a girl, Mike. This 'sleeping around' phase has gone long enough. Hey, what about that girl that blew you yesterday?"

Michael's eyes narrowed. "How did you-"

"Calum mentioned it during his shift last night after your little pizza party," she chuckled. "Cal said she was a nice girl - sounds like a slut, but I'm sure you can tame her."