Into the Storm

"I'm not good at this!" she screamed, dodging the large building she nearly crashed into.

She could feel her earlier confidence wavering.

Meanwhile, he was just having the time of his life, hoisting himself through the air.

She would've shot him an evil glare at his cockiness, if it weren't for the sheer fear she had coursing through her body.

Another obstacle, another near-hit. And still, she didn't have a plan.

And finally, she did fall.

Her grip weakened on the string, and the yoyo slipped right off of the balcony she had hooked it on.

She went soaring downwards, desperately trying to swing her yoyo onto something.

The ground was a little to close for comfort at this moment.

"Shit!" she cursed out loud, closing her eyes and preparing herself for the painful fall she was about to endure.

But it never came.

Instead, a strong arm wrapped around her waist, holding her upright in the air.

Her eyes shot open, to find a hand clad in a black leather glove gripping onto her hip, a black clad arm around her waist.

"Seems you've fallen for me m'lady." his voice echoed in her ear, and she could almost feel his smile.

She turned her head, and sure enough, there it was, plastered against his face.

And due to the near-death experience she just lived through, her breath was too uneven to speak.

Not that she would have been able to anyways.

The way his hair flew back away from his face, the way his teeth seemed to sparkle.

It was enough to make her heart skip a beat.

But why?

"You're staring bugaboo. Not that I blame you, I am quite a purr-fect sight to see." he landed feet-first onto the building closest to the giant sand storm.

And for a moment, she couldn't even think of a witty response. A snarky remark. Anything of the sort.

Her mind flew out the window, and her heart took its place.

"I want to kiss you." she let the words roll off her tongue, a little too fast.

Her body was going rogue, and it was like she wasn't even in it.

"If I were you, I'd would want to too. And you know, I'm never going to say no to that." he laughed, watching her cheeks turn a little redder than before.

"You cocky little-"

Before she could even think of the words to say, she was silenced by the soft caress of his lips against her own.

It wasn't the taste. It wasn't the soft touch. It wasn't the way he snaked his arm around her back. It wasn't the way she gentley placed her hand against his neck.

That's not why she wanted to kiss him.

She wanted to kiss him, because it was him.

Everything about him made her want to kiss him.

She could kiss a complete stranger, who could be far more skilled, and have even softer, sweeter lips.

But it would never be good enough.

Because they weren't him.

They didn't duet with her nearly twice a week.

They didn't talk to her whenever she was feeling down.