Eighteen

"I must ask you Rian, how are you coping?" Doctor Cain asked me after I settled down into the beat up leather swivel chair next to his mahogany desk.

This was my fifth session in three weeks of therapy after Scott's death. My mom forced me to go because I wasn't eating or sleeping. I wasn't even going out. I had missed a full week of school and then various days on and off. All I did was sit in my house and read. It kept my mind off everything; when I read I go into a different world. Everything around me fades and I become one with the characters. Like I am able to live an alternate life where everything is okay while the life I truly live falls apart around me.

"Fine," I answer curtly, not wanting to talk.

"I know that's a lie. Your mother told me that you're not sleeping or eating or going out."

"I'm fine. I just don't want people constantly asking me wherever I go if I'm okay!" I responded, my voice raising in anger. Although I loved my therapist, I just didn't want to go. I didn't want to talk about everything and how my eating disorder had gotten worse since Scott's death. Yes I ate, but in very little amounts. In three weeks I had dropped from 102 pounds to 95.

"I think you're just not accepting his death. By reading all the time, you escape reality by daydreaming about an alternate universe where everything is okay. Is that true?"

"Yes... I'd rather just live my life in a book where I'm okay and no one can ask me if I need to talk. I hate being treated like I'm wounded."

"Losing someone is difficult, especially a sibling. But you need to talk about it, it's vital to your health. By not eating your body will-"

"Go into starvation mode and whenever I eat it'll absorb the fat and make me gain weight. Yes, I know. I've known this for so long. I have a freaking eating disorder for crying out loud! I obviously know this!" I didn't realize I had just admitted my deepest secret to this guy I barely knew. "Oh shit."

"An eating disorder?"

"Nothing. It's nothing. I swear," I felt tears brim my eyes. He gave me a disbelieving look and I sighed, "don't tell my mom. I've had a disorder, EDNOS, for years and only one other person knows. And it's no that I don't eat, I do! Just very small amounts. From 600-900 calories a day and burn off about 500 of those. It's not that I don't like food. No I love food. I just feel miserable after I eat anything."

"I see. And what forced you into these behaviors?"

* * *

Isaac's warm lips pressed against mine when we stopped at my door step. My hand was wrapped in his while the other was pressed against the small of my back, pulling me into his body. I could feel his abs through my thin purple sweater, pressing into my torso. His embrace always made me feel so safe, secure and happy. No matter what, I could always count on him to keep me sane.

When I felt the cold air blow upon my lips, I felt like a part of me was taken away. It was a feeling I had never experienced before; something that was so novel that I didn't know exactly how to deal with it.

"What's wrong?" Isaac asked, his perfect brown eyes staring down into mine with a concerned expression.

"Nothing, it's just, I like when you kiss me," I felt my cheeks warm, and I tried to hide behind my hair but the wind was making that impossible.

He kissed me lovingly once again, letting the feeling linger once he pulled away. "Well I enjoy kissing you so it's a win win situation."

I giggled quietly, wrapping my arms around his neck, standing on my tiptoes in order to do so. His muscular arms snaked around my waist, pulling our bodies even closer than they were before.

"I love you," he whispered in my ear, low enough so only I would hear and the wind would not take the words away with its power.

"I love you too," I said back at the same volume, a smile creeping onto my face.

Isaac was everything I ever wanted in a boyfriend. He was kind, compassionate, loving, sweet, complimentary, athletic, amazing and just perfect. Everything he did made me happy and I know he would do anything for me. He was so understanding and actually listened to me when I spoke, unlike Jackson.

"I should go. My dad will be wanting me home," Isaac said sadly, breaking our embrace.

"Aw okay, text me when you get home," I smiled. "Drive safe!" I added as I opened my front door, looking over my shoulder as I stepped in, seeing Isaac sulk to his car. For some unknown reason, the mention of his dad always made him upset and awkward... But if he didn't want to tell me, he didn't have to.

Not even a half a minute passed before I started missing Scott. I was always so used to him waiting up for me, greeting me at the door, making me a cup of coffee even if it was midnight. He was the best brother anyone could ever ask for... But he was gone and I would never get him back.

Instead of wallowing in my sadness, I walked right upstairs to my room and grabbed my headphones off my desk. I could not let myself think too much or I would set myself off into a spiral of sadness and end up hating myself. Instantly, I played the song "Unbreakable" by Fireflight and allowed myself to become entranced and absorbed in the powerful meaning of the song. I would be strong. Unbreakable. I would get through this and stay strong as I have gotten through so much other shit.

Right as I was falling asleep, I got a text from Isaac. I opened it and gasped as what I saw.

Him :) :

Can I come over? My dad hit me and I don't know where to go

Me:

Of course, climb up the window though, don't wanna wake up momma McCall

I felt tears flow down my face as I read his message over and over again. His dad hit him? Why would a parent ever do that to a child? I felt so bad for him and went to open my window. Due to his werewolf speed he would be here any minute and I wouldn't want him to have to wait outside until I opened the window.

By the time he managed to scale the side of my wall, I was already falling back asleep and I instantly rolled over, making room for him under the covers. He climbed in next to me and spun me around so my back was to him and his arms wrapped around my stomach. Usually I hated when people touched my stomach but I barely noticed because of the way my mind was racing. I knew Isaac had been crying but I didn't want to ask him questions until he was ready to talk about it. So instead, we just lay there, staring into the darkness. He had fallen asleep some time around one AM but I couldn't seem to fall asleep.. However, by the time I did, it was almost three in the morning and my mind was still racing with a million thoughts of what could possibly have happened with Issac's dad.