Two

English class was full as usual and I took my seat behind Isaac Lahey, the shyest boy in school. He had never said a word to me, even when I would ask him for a pen. He would simply nod and hand it to me without a glance. I always felt bad for him. He didn't have many friends. Although... I was one to talk.

"Hey Isaac," I whispered ever so slightly so only he could hear me.

He slowly turned around, his curls staying perfectly on his head. His sea blue eyes were as clear as a Grecian river in the midst of summer. There was something off about him though, his face was perfectly chiseled and his cheekbones were more prominent than usual.

"Hi Rian," He said smoothly in a seductive tone.

My breath was caught in my throat, I had never heard him speak and I was so distracted by the tone of his voice. His words played over and over in my head until I snapped out of my trance and attempted to say something coherent and intelligent.

"Uh did you happen to find a copy of Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children yesterday? I think I left it either here or in Mrs. Rider's class," I asked shyly, mentioning the two classes we shared together.

"Yes actually. I have it in my bag," he smiled as he rummaged through his bag to find my book. He pulled the thick novel out with the front cover facing me. The little girl with the solemn expression and crown was floating inches above the ground, casting a small shadow beneath her feet. When he placed it on my desk I smiled and thanked him. "I flipped through it last night and it seems interesting. Like the supernatural comes to life," I could see the side of his mouth twitch into a small smile as if he found his joke amusing.

"Yeah it's really interesting, I recommend it if you ever have time," I smiled, pulling the book close to my chest.

Before Isaac could respond, our teacher, Ms. Blake, wandered into the room, a smile plastered on her badly moisturized face. She instructed us to grab a partner and combine desks for we were going to begin a project.

Everyone bustled about, rushing to get to their friends before anyone else did. In the end, Isaac and I teamed up and he turned his desk to face mine, the edges coming together perfectly, like two pieces of a puzzle.

As Ms. Blake handed out our assignment packets, she explained that we would have to recreate a scene from a book of our choice and do a book report. Being an avid reader, I was stoked to have an assignment that interested me for once instead of the boring research papers we usually were assigned.

"So what book should we do?" I asked Isaac, trying to hide my excitement.

"I haven't read a book in such a long time so I have absolutely no idea. You choose," He said passively, not caring about the project.

"Um okay. What about..." I racked my brain for the list of books I had yet to read. "Merchant of Venice?"

"Shakespeare? No way," he shook his head furiously.

"Okay. How about Lord of the Flies?"

"Read it last year. Hated it."

"Alright then..."

"Maze Runner? Divergent? The Name of the Star?" Isaac suggested after a lot of thinking.

"I've read them all. The entire series for all of them," I shrugged slightly out of nerves.

"Let's just do Miss Peregrine's then. I mean you're not done with it yet right?"

"No I just started it."

"Then it's settled. We'll do that," Isaac said with a nod of his head.

"So should we each read the book and then talk about it and the scenes and such?" I suggested, hoping he said yes. It would be the most effective way to proceed with the project.

"Or we could just hang out and read together but separately," he suggested, rubbing the back of his neck nervously with his left hand.

I laughed out of confusion. "What?"

"Uh I mean like we could be in the same room but reading the book. Like our own copies. So that if we have questions we can just ask each other," He explained rather quickly.

"Yeah that would work!" I smiled enthusiastically. "What're you doing tonight?"

"Uh nothing actually."

"Want to come over? Scott is going out with Allison and my mom is working the night shift at the hospital," I asked, my voice rising at the end awkwardly.

"Yeah that sounds good to me! What time?" He smiled, a slight blush creeping into his cheeks.

"Uh five? We can order in food or something."

"It's a date."

Before I could respond the bell rang, signaling the end of class and he raced out the door before I even had a chance to blink. Was this going to be a date?