Seventeen

Rian

It's been exactly a week since Scott, Stiles and Isaac rescued me from the warehouse. It's been a week since I've seen Isaac. It's been a week since I was admitted to the hospital. After being kidnapped and tortured, I had a few injuries but my body had begun to shut down from shock. I couldn't help but blame myself for what had happened there. I felt so guilty and kept denying that he died.

During the fight, Stiles kept me hidden behind boxes but I could see through the cracks what was going on. Derek miraculously showed up, bringing Boyd and Erica with him to help fight. I could've sworn he had died that time I saw him bleeding out in my living room. He had disappeared since then so what else was I supposed to think? He had confided to me later that once he recovered, he had gone into hiding to create the illusion he was dead. For what purpose, he didn't say.

After Scott had killed Ennis with the help of Isaac, they had advanced on Kali, the only woman in the pack. The twins, Aiden and Ethan, had fled at that point for fear of dying, infuriating Deucalion. Kali, in a fit of anger, knocked Isaac unconscious and Stiles pulled him behind the boxes where I held him and ran my fingers through his hair.

What happened next was what kept replaying in my mind. While Derek, Boyd and Erica advanced on Deucalion, Scott faced Kali one on one. I remember the knot that formed in my stomach and the constricting feeling in my throat, the signs of a panic attack. I had a bad feeling about what was going to happen. In less than a minute, Kali had brutally mutilated my brother, killing him. His injuries were too severe to heal so he died in battle. I screamed, shook and cried until Stiles carried me out of there without letting me go to Scott. I couldn't believe it. Before long, I had gone into shock and my body shut down, landing me I the hospital.

When I awoke, I had prayed it was all a dream; unfortunately though, it had all happened. I remember screaming for my brother and anyone else that could give me answers. My mom. Stiles. Isaac. I burned to see Stiles. He was my brother's best friend as well; he must be in agony.

"Hey," Stiles said from the door frame. I tilted my head in his direction and I could see the pain written on his face. His eyes were rimmed in red and he looked so disheveled with his shirt was half off his torso.

"Have you been here the whole time?" I asked, sitting up slowly, flattening my knotty hair with the heel of my hand.

"If by here you mean the hospital, than yeah I have."

"Why? You look exhausted," I scooted over and patted the spot next to me where Stiles soon sat.

"I wanted to be here when you woke up. I also didn't want to go home. It's weird there without being able to talk to Scott. At least here, I know it was all real," He said, a tear slipping from his left eye and onto his wrist.

"Stiles," I started, my voice cracking. "It's okay. I mean the funeral's tomorrow so that's when it'll definitely be hitting me. I have not cried yet."

He wrapped an arm around my shoulders and pulled me into him. I could feel his tears splash against my hair, wet and hot. His chest shuttered when he breathed, as if he was trying not to cry. I laid my hand on top of his comfortingly, hoping to ease some of the pain. It only made him cry more. Scott and Stiles had been best friends for as long as I could remember. They did everything together. They even had their first kisses on the same day at the same party. I had no idea the amount of pain he was suffering with. I felt so bad.

"I lost my best friend. I don't have anything anymore."

"You have me," I responded with a smile.

"I had you before," He responded, his voice cracking.

"And you still have me. I'm not going anywhere Stiles. You're my best guy friend and I'm not leaving you."

He kissed the top of my head, "I love you so much Rian. Thank you for being such a good friend to me."

I smiled, "I love you too Stiles."

"Rian?" I heard a voice from the door frame. I looked up to see Isaac leaning against the door, his hands in the pockets of his jeans. His hair was messed up, like he hadn't slept in days. His clothes were covered in dead leaves and his sneakers were messily tied.

"Isaac. Hey," I smiled, feeling my face go hot.

Stiles looked from me to Isaac and back. He seemed really awkward being here now so he slowly got up and smiled at me. "I'll leave you two now. I'm starving anyways," He walked out, but not before whispering something to Isaac who gave him the death stare and shut the door as soon as Stiles was outside.

"Can we talk?" He asked quietly, shifting his weight anxiously from one foot to the other.

"Yeah," I answered as he pulled a chair up next to the bed. After sitting precariously on the edge of the seat, he reached out to grab my hand in his and stroke the top of it with his thumb.

"I'm sorry. I just feel really guilty about this. It was all my fault."

"Isaac, it wasn't your fault."

"Yes it was," His eyes flickered to the floor and then back to me. "I promised myself I would protect him and Scott with my life but it ended up that Scott took my place. I knew Kali was stronger than me but I had to try. If you lost Scott it was not going to go over well.

"When Kali looked at me, I saw nothing but hatred. Scott pushed me out of the way but she still advanced on me. And I didn't tell Scott to run. I should have, but I didn't."

"It's still not your fault. Kali's an Alpha there was no way you, or Scott, would have been able to defeat her. She's too strong. Don't blame yourself for what happened," I reassured him, my eyes never leaving his face. I took in every feature there and just stared. He was perfect.

"I'm still sorry. It takes a while but I promise you, it'll get easier. I lost my brother too. Also in combat, just a different kind.

"Rian... Rian, there's also this..." He took a deep breath and I could see him silently counting to three. "I love you. I have been for three years ever since I first saw you. But every time I've actually had a chance, Jackson swooped in and claimed you. You're beautiful and we've grown close these past weeks. You're the sweetest, kindest, whole hearted person I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. So will you please do me the honor of being my girlfriend?"

I'm sure my face was priceless because I was totally and completely shocked. I wanted to say yes. No, I burned to say yes but I was in shock from the words he spoke. Eventually I mustered up the courage to speak. "Yes, yes Isaac a million times yes."

And then I felt his smooth lips on mine. Instantly I moved over more as he climbed into the bed next to me, his lips never leaving mine. His muscular arms wrapped around my waist, squeezing me into him. Instinctively, my hands raised and locked behind his neck, my fingers playing with the ends of his curly hair. I could feel his toned torso through his shirt against me and a shudder went through my body.

Our kisses became hungrier, as if this was the last time we would ever see each other. Our lips moved in sync and I could feel his slight smile on his lips. A callused hand grazed my cheek, and a thumb traced circles on my cheekbone, making me gasp. That was my favorite thing in the world. I could feel Isaac smirk as he moved from my mouth to peck my nose and then press his forehead to mine.

"I still need to break up with Jackson," I sighed. I knew I shouldn't have said that right then but my filter apparently wasn't working correctly.

"Just text him saying you're dumping his sorry ass and just leave it at that," Isaac laughed quietly at his own statement which made me smile.

"What if he tells other people lies? Or ruins me again?"

"What does it matter what other people think? You have me now, I'll never leave you for a petty reason like a rumor."

"Promise?"

"Promise."