Sixteen

Isaac

The scene from this morning played over and over in my mind as the day neared it's end. Nothing made sense. All I wanted to know what what happened? Did I do something wrong? Why wouldn't she tell me why? She told me to trust her. But how could I?
I had let her slip right through my fingers. I didn't fight. I just let her go. I should've confronted Jackson. No, he would have killed me. Maybe Scott would know. Or Stiles. Yeah, Stiles would know.

When the bell rang that signaled the end of the school day, I raced to Stiles's locker, which was right next to Rian's, and waited for him to show up. My eyes scanned the crowd with their heightened wolf sense in an attempt to track him down.

Stiles was easy to pick out of a crowd. He was slightly stocky with a shaved head and was wearing a flannel shirt 9/10 times. His gait was full of swagger he thought he had, something everyone talked about behind his back. Although he was short, he stood out like a sore thumb.

"Can I help you?" Stiles asked me as he approached his locker with a confused and irritated expression.

"What happened with Rian?" I asked, getting right to the point.

"What do you mean?"

"Her and Jackson. Why are they together again?"

He slammed his locker closed and stared at me dead on. "Explain. Now."

I was quite shocked he didn't know, considering he was Rian's best friend, but I explained nonetheless. "I don't know much. But what I do know is that she walked into school today, saw him, and went over. Then he put his arm around her and I heard him call her babe. But she seemed annoyed at him, like she doesn't really like him. She told me that it was to 'protect herself' but I don't know what that could possibly mean."

"Well I can tell you one thing, I'm going to find out and kill that rotten asshole Jackson," Stiles clenched his fists until his knuckles turned white around his lacrosse stick.

"Easy there tiger. Why don't we ask Rian before we go all apeshit on someone who could kick your ass?"

"Sometimes you're not as stupid as you seem."

"Uh thanks?" I pulled out my phone, expecting to see some sort of call or text from Rian but there was nothing. Not a single notification popped up on the screen. So I decided to call her. She was probably home and would be able to explain what the hell was going on. After six rings, it went to voicemail. "She didn't answer..."

Stiles pulled out his keys and looked me dead in the eye. The fire behind his eyes frightened me to make sure I didn't piss him off. "Let's go. We need to find her. Like now. She always answers her phone. She's in danger if she doesn't. Find Scott and then come with him to my car. Now!"

I nodded and raced towards the locker room where I knew Scott would be getting ready for practice. He wouldn't be happy to see me but I had to get him to follow me. It is his sister who is lost after all.

"What do you want Isaac?" Scott lowered his voice after slamming his locker shut. "Is this about the full moon tomorrow?"

"What? No," how could he possibly know? Unless he was a wolf also. "Something's wrong. Rian's acting weird and now she's not answering her phone," I explained as quickly as I could. I scratched at my wrist out of nerves.

"So? She's a girl..."

"Yeah but Stiles is worried about her too. If he's worried, then we should be too, right? He is like her best friend after all."

"Ugh. Fine. Let's go," Scott sighed before leading me out of the locker room towards Stiles's car where he sat in the drivers seat, anxiously tapping the steering wheel with the keys in the ignition of the shitty blue jeep.