Chapter 1

My Dad left when I was 4 and my mom became a drug addict. I'm now 17 and more or less paying for everything. Recently Mom decided it would be fun to move from our Chicago apartment to a condo overlooking the beach in Miami, Florida. The only reason we can even afford this is because of my Mom's stupid fiancé, Wade.

"Come on, honey! It'll be fun! You can make new friends and start over." Mom said too perky for my liking. Of course, I have to pretend like I give a shit, am perfect and can't do anything wrong.

"Alright, mom. I give up! I'll go leaving everything I know behind." I said dramatically.

"I knew you would come around!" She says with a huge smile. I return it but it's not a real smile.

"Let's finish packing then," I say trying to end the conversation.

We finish packing at about 5 p.m. I'm tired and don't feel like cooking. Mom hasn't been doing drugs as often. In fact, she's just having her first glass of alcohol of the day. Right, when I'm about to go to my room my soon to stepdad walks in.

"Hey, kiddo!" He says smiling at me. KIDDO REALLY?!?! But I just return the smile and wave. "Hey, honey!" He says to Mom.

"Hey, sweetie!" Mom replies.

"I'm going to go to my room to take a nap," I say and walk to my room.

When I get to my room I immediately change into my favorite faded blue jean shorts, that go to my fingertips, and put on my light gray camisole and dark gray loose over shirt that goes over my left shoulder, and my gray and orange converse. I then sneak out using the fire escape. Tonight I finally get to break up with my annoyingly nice, sweet, a little clingy, good boy boyfriend. He always has to know where I am, what I'm doing, who I'm with, what time I'm going to be home, so basically, like the dad, I never got to have.

"Hey," I say when I see Adam, my soon to be ex.

"Hey, babe! Is something wrong? You sound troubled." He says way too politely. Yet another person who thinks I'm a good girl.

"Actually something is wrong." I start. I'm going to enjoy this."Well as you know I'm moving to Florida in two days." I sigh and pretend to be sad. "Well, I think we should break up. And before you say anything just let me explain. You see long distance relationships never work out. And we'll be so far apart. It's not right for me to keep you from other girls. So it's best we end things." I say sounding sincere.

"Okay. If you think it's for the best." He sounds like he could cry.

"I do."

"Okay. Then this is goodbye."

"Yeah, it is."

"Goodbye Lindsay."

"Goodbye Adam," I say and walk away.

As soon as I turn the corner I smile and try not to laugh at how he clearly thought it would work out between us. I mean he didn't say anything like that but the look on his face was utter shock.

I go to my friend Jennifer's house. I tell her what happened and we both laughed our asses off. We talked about how we have to text every day. I decide I should go home, at least the home that was about to be just another apartment. When I get in my room I quickly change into my pj's and then the door opens.

"Lindsay, honey, are you hungry?" Mom asks.

"Yeah. What are we having?" I ask smiling cause I don't have to cook for once.

"Chinese."

"Great I'll be out in a minute," I say then she closes the door and leaves.

After dinner, I clean off the table and go watch tv. It's almost August, which means school starts soon. Great. I start Jr. year of High School trying to meet people and get used to how different everything will be. Woohoo. Even worst I don't know anything about Miami, I've never been to Florida before.