A Vampire's Love

It was late at night, as usual in this Realm.

An eternal blanket of darkness and shadows over the land, a pale red Moon shining down on them. Crops almost never grew properly, but Vampires didn't need to eat vegetation or meats. They lived purely off of mortal blood. Every Vampire had their own personal cattle, a singular mortal or group of mortals that they could feed on.

That's what Gene was thinking about as he dragged his nails down the glass case in his living room. He could see his little pet in the back of the glass cage, trying to hide behind some of the rocks and seaweed grass in the sand. Gene wasn't going to have it. It was a special day for him, meaning he was in a good mood, and he wanted a little snack.

Human blood was a good treat, but the blood of Meif'wa hybrids and Werewolves was absolutely dreadful, hence why the only Werewolves or Meif'wa hybrids in the Vampiric Realm were either prisoners or slaves. Fairy blood was one of the more sugary flavors, and Elven blood was too spicy and bitter for normal liking. The blood of a Mer, however, was like a gourmet feast. Mers were rare meals in the Vampiric Realm, because they were getting smarter on how to hide from the Vampires.

Gene reached into his pocket, grabbing a small container of even smaller fish. He held it up, shaking it so Zane could see. The Merman skeptically swam out from his hiding place, eye shifting between his snack and Gene's face.

Zane swam up to the glass, putting his small, pale, webbed hands on it. He looked so sad and alone in there, but it was a miracle he had even survived this long, unlike his one Mermaid friend. Poor thing had to watch her die..

"You must hate it here." Gene sighed, earning a confused look from his pet. "No light, little food, no friends... family..."

Zane seemed to chirp a bit as he did a small flip in the water, his attention fully on the can of fish. He still had that sad expression though, but he was probably so amazed by the idea of food that he was startled out of his miserable state, if only for the moment.

"I never asked to be a Vampire, you know?" Gene said to him, tears welling up. "I just didn't want to die... I wasn't ready to leave the world yet.. and I got this instead.."

Zane was looking at him now, curiously flapping the two fins on the sides of his tail.

"This awful, miserable excuse of a life... people think that this Realm is the perfect place for a Vampire to live, but they're so wrong..." He sighed, placing his hand back on the glass. "I just... I guess what I'm trying to say... is that I wish I never became a Vampire at all..."

Zane pulled back from the glass, swimming off into one of the tunnels that led out of his tank. He reappeared outside, in the pool, where Gene followed him. Zane had his head above water, using his human set of lungs to breathe.

"Why'd you come out here?" Gene asked, raising an eyebrow as he sat down by the pool.

"Do you really feel that way?" Zane asked, his ear fins tilting down.

"Yeah..." He admitted with a sigh, looking away for a moment. "I'm not too proud of being a Vampire, or doing any of this... kidnapping you and taking you away from your family, your people..."

"Guess we both don't have any family with us..." He sighed, flicking some water at Gene. "Your family didn't come with you, did they?"

"No... they died a while back, I think. It's kind of hard to deal with time here..." He frowned, wiping the water away with his sleeve. "I loved them... my mom... my brother... my friends... they were the only people that meant anything to me..."

"My dad was the only person who ever tried to help me.." He said, trying to make him feel better. "My brothers were always too busy with their girlfriends or friends, and my mom was always too blind to my problems..."

Gene and Zane shared an emotional, silent look with each other. Bloodthirsty, undead eyes meeting one sympathetic, merciful eye. A Vampire that lived only to suffer emotionally, and a Merman who lived to be that Vampire's feast every day.

Gene grunted in pain, wrapping one arm around his stomach as it roared loudly. It was craving blood, more specifically... Zane's blood. The Merman seemed to understand, because he held out his wrist, which had a Vampire bite mark on it. Gene hesitantly bit down, giving a quick apology as he drank his blood.

When he was done, he quickly pulled away. He never did like hurting the little Merman, especially since he had known him even before he had taken him to this Realm. But when he pulled away, he gasped at how dull Zane looked now.

"M... Make me a Vampire, Gene..." Zane apologized, before he went limp.

Gene stared at the dead corpse of his pet, picking him up and carrying him to the main room. He would fulfill his pet's one request, and make him a Vampire. He didn't know why he wanted to be a Vampire, but he would do it nonetheless.

~~~~

When Zane opened his eye, it was blood red.

"Ugh... I feel sick..." Zane mumbled, curling into a ball. "My voice and body feel weird..."

"That, Zane, is what happens when you become a Vampire." Gene chuckled, before he became a bit more serious. "W... why...?"

"Why what?" He asked, sitting up, and taking a quick glance at his new legs.

"Why did you want me to make you a Vampire!?" He demanded, glaring at him wildly.

"Because I always want to be with you..." He admitted, a light blush on his pale face.

"W... What..?" He gasped, before turning his head away with a deep blush. "Oh, Zane, you big goofball..."

"Am I a pretty goofball?" Zane asked, batting his eyelashes.

"You're..." Gene paused, letting a smile form. "You're beautiful."