"Love Is Overrated."

Start from the beginning

He led me to the third building and entered a few security codes before the doors opened and a woman came.

She was wearing some high waisted tight jeans and a crop top. Her hair was in a high ponytail and she had makeup on. She smiled, "hey, I'm Val, nice to meet you." I smiled a little, unsure of what to say and she chuckled, waving me in.

The man let go of me and she took my hand, leading me in. As we walked, my eyes slowly scanned the house and it was beautiful. Everything seemed so expensive and modern. I wondered who designed it. It was beautiful.

She led me to a room with expensive furniture that was too exquisite to explain. Her eyes scanned my body before saying, "right, first things first, shower."

"Shower?" I asked, finally speaking. "Where am I going?" She bit her lip, hesitating a little before saying, "I have to get you ready." I squeezed my eyes closed before exhaling and opening my eyes.

Val gave me a sympathetic look. "I'm sorry you have to go through this. I-I heard about. ." She trailed off and I chuckling a little, shrugging. "Thanks. .This is my life now, I guess."

I ended up going into the shower and Val did my hair and makeup. I changed into a beautiful dress and when I looked into the mirror, I didn't recognise myself.

I touched my cheek, my lips parting a little. I blinked a few times, staring at myself into the mirror. I touched my hair, it was curled and on one of my shoulders.

"Wow. ." I whispered, gazing at myself. Val chuckled, putting down a makeup brush. "I look so. ."

"You look beautiful," she told me with a smile before turning and closing her large makeup bag. I turned to her and smiled, "thank you." She shrugged with a grin, "it's fine."

She glanced at the clock, "we have to go. What's your name by the way?" She asked as she opened the door. I blinked, "sorry. I thought I told you. I'm Maria, nice to meet you." She smiled and shook my hand. "Most people call me Val but my real name's Valentina."

"That's lovely," I told her genuinely as I held up my dress a little, following her out the house. "Thanks," she kindly replied before asking, "how do you feel? You're about to get married."

My eyes widened a little and fear ran through me. "Married? Wait, today? Why am I wearing a pink dress then?"

"No, no," Val said, "There's not going to be a service, just signing the certificate." I sighed, following her. "Why am I so dressed up?"

She opened a door and let me in. "I think he just wants to show you off, even though he doesn't know what you look like."

I nodded a little, feeling scared. "I don't know what he looks like either." I stopped, petrified. She turned and looked at me sympathetically.

"I'm scared," I told her, nervousness running through me. She nodded, understandingly. "Don't worry, it's normal. Who wouldn't be?" She sighed a little and smiled at me softly. "There's not much I can do, sadly. This isn't fair on you. But be strong, Maria. Don't let them know that you're afraid." I nodded, blinking back the tears in my eyes and she nodded at me before pushing the door open.

The room was small with men in there. Two men were holding guns at a corner of the room whilst the other two were just standing there talking. They were handsome and resembled each other. My breath hitched and one of the men smiled, walking over and pulling Val to him by her hips and kissing her intensely.

She giggled against his lips, kissing him back and wrapping her arms around his neck.

I looked away and fixed my gaze upon a table which had some documents on. The certificate.